Pelletizing biomass, operating conditions and machinery?

Didn’t want to derail the thread: Pelletized Biomass for Larger Yields since it is detailing the extraction side as opposed to the biomass prep.

We recently bought a Pelletmasters 10 HP, 8" die size, bought 3, 4 and 6MM dies so we’d have some options to play with. Bought the lower compaction ratio units (they classify the lower compaction ones as for making animal feed vs higher compaction for making wood pellets). Currently working on conditioning the dies since they come pretty rough from the factory, and have plugged the dies a couple times attempting to get them polished up enough to use. I’m interested in all info I can get from people who have used these things - especially what moisture content you’re aiming for with input material and how you clean out at end of day to prevent having a completely plugged die when you start up the next morning.

We sell for them. The RED 19:1 and 22:1 units are good for hemp. The GREEN units, over time, will have issues given the fiber in hemp because they have a lower gear ratio.

Good to know, we got a red unit not sure if its 19:1 or 22:1 as I don’t see a spec tag on the gearbox. Have you gotten any feedback from people you’re selling to as far as operating parameters and cleaning out at end of shift? Seems really labor intensive to have to drill out the die every shift, there’s gotta be a better way.

Start and finish by running 5 pounds of moist spent brewing grains soaked in about 10oz of vegtable oil through the mill. Recycle that through 3-4 times until the mill warms up. Run it though at the end twice so that the spent, oily grain is stuck in the die and all the hemp has been forced through. The soft grains can be left in there between runs, and the warm up process will be able to push it through most of the time. You can keep recycling the spent brewers grains.

2 Likes