Passive Recovery Time

You are collecting your extracted solution into the spool? Did you heat the spool up at all to boil the butane out of the solution and into the cold solvent tank?
If both of them are cold it will just cold boil. No evaporation is happening if the collection vessel is not being heated

3 Likes

Or create a proper vacuum with your tank and you can recover even faster. And then, you’ll be privy to lowering the temps. You don’t notice the loss, but it’s there. You say it’s not enough to bother you, Wurd. To each their own.

But, get that tank colder and you can recover faster. It’s science not personal preference. You want to run fast and get runs done. Do it right and stop making it harder. Get that tank cold and get it to pull its own vacuum.

14 Likes

Ya i dun necessarly agree with REcovery at anything over 85-90 as well. For one your Sacrificing that Color as well as terps IMO> I do distill at the higher temp im not sure if thats good or bad??
Passive REcovery is Thermodynamics. Science is on your side. As @Dred_pirate Mentioned get the tank cold enough to create its own vacuum. Thats Greatly improved our recovery times…

3 Likes

The temp of the liquid going into the tank from the coil is -60 or more and the tank pressure is at zero during the entire recovery. How is it your running faster passive with a larger collection vessel and lower temps? How much terpens are lost running at that heat?

I can’t vacuum my tank or get it colder then it is already because the tank still has tane in it. Once it has -60 liquid going into it the tank the tank gets down to those temps more or less anyways. The damn thing grows ice on the outside of it during recovery and is at zero psi. So you recover 30lbs in 15 minutes @Dred_pirate? The reason i said 30lbs in 45 is because once you get towards the bottom of your run things slow down cause your not building the same pressure in the vessel. So you pull 2lbs a minute the entire time or just during the main portion of your recovery?

Can’t vac my tank but i will try to run at your suggested temps on my next run and see if it makes a difference on the end product.

1 Like

I never said vac the tank. Get it cold and it will create its own vacuum. I get my tank to a full vac for recovery.

Crude I will push 2lbs a min. On standard runs I will do an average of 1lb a min. And yes, they all slow down at the end.

6 Likes

Im doing a run later today can post pics to show my recovery setup. Purely passive with no condensing coil.

3 Likes

When you got -60 fluid flowing into the tank The tank is very cold it stays at 0psi the entire time i’m recovering and even after recovery. Do you put your solvent tank in dry ice and alcohol? @Dred_pirate

2 Likes

How big are the runs your doing? what size columns do you use?

The colder you get your tank, the more vacuum it will create.

I have a 100lb jacketed tank with a julabo fw95 running the coil to keep it cold. I have my tank set at -75 at all times. I usually do around 5lb runs on a 4x48 column. I will flush 25-30 lbs of solvent and recover and do my pour in about 40-45 min

11 Likes

I need to learn how to do it like you do it. I wonder if dry ice and slurry will work instead of a $40,000 Chiller? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You can take you tank down to -105f with dry ice snd acetone

4 Likes

Iso only gets to about -60ish. Thats if it has only been used once. After first use it get diluted with water and is less efective.
Multible coils in a step down cooling takes it down to those temps with acetone

1 Like

Cool yeah that’s what i figured -50 to -60. So my recovery tank gets pretty damn cold when that liquid starts flowing back in there

How big is the tank? Leave it in a large keg bucket and cover her up

2 Likes

Pros and cons for acetone
Pro
gets way colder
Cheaper per gal
Clean up is fastesr
Con
Evaporation rate is way higher so cost is about the same

2 Likes

i have another that doesn’t have legs so i can give it a try and see if there’s a difference. but once the tane is returning my tank gets freezing cold if it’s -60 going in and -60 on the outside i don’t think there’s gonna be that much difference on recovery just a waste of dry ice

That tank is very different. Love the idea. Wish it was jacketed. Does it have a coil inside

1 Like

Yeah it’s been working great. No Coil on the inside. I just run it into a coil in dry ice and alcohol and then back through it on recovery instead of just chilling the entire solvent tank.

1 Like