Passive Extraction using 1.5" recovery line

Propane hot water heater. I’m thinking I’m losing heat in some places I shouldn’t if things were insulated better.

2 Likes

How big? Last one I had was 52kw

So 2 flaws I see is that I have it super far away for safety and second it’s been freaking cold outside lately. Those combined with non insulated hose and I’m losing a bit of heat

4 Likes

What are the specs on your hot water heater? How many BTU / Hour is it?

I believe it is 200k btu

3 Likes

Mine are “outside” under a covering and double wrapping them with water heater blankets was very noticeable and makes it so i can shut them off over the weekend and its still warm monday.

6 Likes

Try making a holding tank that the heater will heat up first i would heat mine up to 120-140F before circulating through my jackets . I also ran mine with some PG in it so it wouldn’t freeze. I think it is important for a safety factor to run some pg so you do not freeze the water in your jackets or coils . I used a large cooler as a holding tank that held about 35 gallons of antifreeze it would always maintain temp . I built it for super cheap too 2 cheap 100$ amazon camp showers , whole house harbor freight shallow well pump , and the cooler with some plumbing to hook it all up . Worked great made 22 kw of heating power for under 500$

4 Likes

You’ve got plenty of heat then.

You must have missed where he said he was losing heat to the cold weather

If he is losing half the heat 100,000 btu / hour is still enough to get 10 pounds a minute in passive transfer.

Seem to me like your contradicting yourself.

2 Likes

ok… so I’m not looking at my calculations every response and I’m 5 beers in. My point is he’s got the equipment he needs to get 10 pounds a minute. It just needs to be tweaked.

1 Like

Insulate your hoses, Insulate your collection vessel and don’t run you hot water temp too hot. You have what it takes to get raging fast passive transfer.