Passive 1# CLS and questions about recovering

I just received my 1# system from @Killa12345 and today was the first run. This is my first time using a CLS and I learned the process from the resources on this site.

My first run came out as expected for the material. My main issues were my recovery speed, which was abysmal, and the amount of solvent holdup still in my column.

The question I have for now is about the solvent hold up and the proper way to get it out of that column. I was reading on another thread about someone using nitrogen assist and getting a great deal of hold up. One suggestion was to recover from the top and here is where i get confused. The way i recover is i take my empty solvent tank and attach one port to my recovery pot, which currently has the valve closed (duh, it’s full of solvent and oil under a mild amount of pressure), and the other to my vacuum pump. I draw a full vacuum on the empty tank (that i made sure to bleed whatever was left before pulling vac), place the empty tank in some dry ice/denatured alcohol and finally place the recovery pot in warm water. Once all that is setup I disconnect my vacuum pump and then i finally open the port from my recovery pot to the solvent tank.

If i were to the follow the users suggestion would that mean instead of connecting the solvent tank to my recovery pot directly i would instead connect the solvent tank to the top of my column and follow the same process? Or did they mean somehow recovering initially from the recovery pot and then after from the top of the column? As i wrote that down it seemed kind of dumb but i wanted to ask anyway. And if somehow that is what’s done could someone maybe point me in the right direction?

Thanks

1 Like

I’m not a pro… You’ll have to heat up your material column some how… I’m thinking of wrapping my own with the seedlings mats that warm up… another friend recommended wrapping a coil flowing hot water threw it… I believe you would recover the column after you have closed off your honey pot Valve… I’m curious to see what others say cause like I said… not a pro… matter as fact, I haven’t cls on my own not one time… So your ahead of me!! Cheers

2 Likes

Just to clarify my setup is a straight through design. Column sits atop the pot and there is no valve in between, just flows straight in. In retrospect that would’ve been a nice feature.

1 Like

Hmm so maybe your right… Recover the pot first… then connect to op of column and finish recovering… From my overstanding nitrogen will help get some of that tane out your column into your pot…

Don’t heat ur columns

U need to drop the temperature of your collection pot. This will pull the liquid solvent containing oil on down

Butane goes from.hot to cold or.cold to.colder

I have my collection pot sitting in 3 gal denatured alcohol that I add dry ice to the entire time Temps about -70f. This is much colder than anywhere else plus the fuel in collection pot being so cold will create vacuum pulling even more
If u use jacketed column u may need nitro
Remember all we use nitro for is bc when we cool our solvent to -70f to blast the psi goes from +60psi to -30 actually making a vacuum, therfor when u open valve I t won’t come out. We use nitro to add + psi back to the super cold solvent. U bump the tank brinf it back to about 40-60psi the nitro is just to get positive psi bc cold solvent doesn’t have it
Also vac ur empty system down before running…prefreeze material on dry ice then load it fast chill ur solvent in the same tank I chill my collection pot

4 Likes

Will that get all the tane out the material column? I was advised there will still be solvent in material column ad warming come column would help get it out. How come they recommend recovering from top of column?

Thanks

2 Likes

It will get it all if u don’t use a jacketed column or soak it. Blast fast and cold as balls. But ur collection pot needs to be coldest during injection

Also u need large cooler and sous vide , that way u can. Set a temp and set ur collection pot in it to begin recovery

We need to make.sure he’s running right first that should speed recovery up…also ur tank needs to be in the cooler the collection pot was just in during injection and keep adding dry to the alcohol. Keep ur solvent tank super cold during recovery and collection pot in warm.water

3 Likes

Got it… thanks for that
… My tek was a soak method so yeah… thanks for clearing that up!! Do you have any preference soak or straight blast? I hear soak is better to prevent channeling?

Do u have a valve btw collection pot and material column…if so crack it instead wide open…have solvent rush in faster than it dumps to collection and ull get everything

U have a 6x12 tank?

1 Like

Bc they running big boy rigs w tons solvent , that much material u start running into material soaking up some solvent. They run so big recovering off columns gets back something for them but ur rig is baby its what I’m use to and much easier to run and manipulate temperature

2 Likes

if ull just keep the collection pot in dry ice.slurry though that’ll really help about moving the solvent straight through it’ll literally pull it down

1 Like

so add said feature. doesn’t have to be this week…

2 Likes

personally, i never close the valve between material column and collection. upon recovery, the solvent stuck in the material will usually get coasted into the collection.

Nitro assist would get it there too. but just not closing that valve will usually get the majority out of the column…

3 Likes

production yo!

close valve, swap column. go again.

:joy:

2 Likes

lose oil, lose solvent… only saves soo much time… I get it though…

you still gonna need to grab that solvent so the actual time saving is probably minimal…

3 Likes

yeah, I’ve certainly never run one that way…(rack that shit!!)

however, when running a MKIII terp I’ve absolutely used the valve at the bottom of the column to allow me to pull vac on the column and throw it in the freezer over-night before running.

3 Likes

Are you using nitrogen assist? You can pressurize the material column to push out some residual solvent trapped in the material and push it into the collection vessel. The Closed Loop systems we make have ample valves and quick connects to be able to recover out of multiple vessels at the same time in needed.

You can definitely recover off the top of your material column like you said (recovery collection then material) but unless you can heat the material column you will just cold boil the solvent as you recover vapor off the top.

3 Likes

I see… I’m running a 4 x 48 material next to a 4 x 48 jacketed collection with splatter platter with spout at the end. I was gonna soak material column then push it into my next column/collection. Will I need to chill collection to move solvent or will the nitro get it all in? If I need to chill can I get away with just chilling the platter at the bottom of collection collum?

Also doesn’t the straight blast risk channeling?..

Thank for the clarity!

2 Likes

Unfortunately w rack mount passive I’ve only ran crc

W my experience rack mounts will always have some in the lines

A collection in slurry would help if u cam but at certain point the tank is to big to cool and coils are needed

But no just bc u use nitro doesn’t mean its gonna move everything

4 Likes

In my case then of I do run passive and can’t get it all to move into collection… Then would you recommend heat column to recover everything? Please if there’s any tips on draining a full column to the next passively would someone shed light. It’s like a ets without the pumps