Particles in roto boiling flask???

I’ve seen that before. It really could be a lot of things, though. Grit from the filter leaking? Sugar or protein from ethanol too warm during extraction? I have even seen what appeared to be very small THCa crystals forming.

1 Like

Test water solubility. It is probably just more sugars/proteins/salts. Is this ethanol the same ethanol you ran the previous 25 gallons with recycled?

1 Like

Yes, well 5 fresh unopened gallons, and 5 gallons used from prior wash/rotovaped. I have the bf on my table with a stopper. I’ll try what ever test I’m able to do it it with what I have. If I need to source chems I will gladly do so. But my experience is not with that type of investigation. Although I’m always willing to give it a try.

I tried sticking my dab tool and scrape some, but got very little. I did do a taste test, didn’t notice anything. Albeit a very small amount was tried.

I can try deionized water and see what happens, if it is sugars and such.

2 Likes

It’s easy. Wash it with a bunch of ethanol and see if it dissolves (I doubt it). Then wash with some water and I bet it comes off. Ergo not THCA.

1 Like

That really does look like some thca sugar, though.

3 Likes

i mean i’m open to being proved wrong. Do the test. If it dissolves in ethanol and not in water, it may well be THCA. However I would bet money that it will go down as I predicted. This seems to only occur in alcohol extract. If you take CO2 or BHO oil and winterize it, you’re still rotavaping an ethanol solution, but nobody ever sees this. So I am quite confident in my hypothesis that these are unique polar compounds alcohol is extracting, and not THCA. It’s easy enough to see qualitatively.

4 Likes

A small puddle of ethanol was in the bf while sitting. Where that pooled ethanol sat, there are no particles at the “pooled” area.

I didnt get a chance to rinse the bf with ethanol or water yet to see what happens

1 Like

…so your saying don’t chop a line of this mysterious powder or do?

2 Likes

No way that stuff is most probably Some type of gum Wax or sugar :grinning:
But If You do chop a line and go crazy i want to hear all about iT :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes
5 Likes

My buddy did a fat rail of kief. Was very entertaining to watch him do it.

It didnt do anything at all.

But I wonder if we decarb’d it if it were to do something?

2 Likes

probably not, but fun to watch! There was someone awhile back that was dead set on snorting their weed here, I dont remember their handle off the top of my head. But perhaps they might chime in!

2 Likes

Funny enough… Me and a buddy actually did get some of the white powder out and on a dare… he did a line so I had to… it hurt… alot

3 Likes

it burned like hell. not like a chem burn. more like a just snorted sand burn.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::pray::pray::pray::pray:You are completly mad :rofl::rofl: You got me crying

4 Likes

I’ll just add some room room temp ethanol to the bf, swish it around, and pour off in a pyrex dish, then toss in my vac oven and see what happens. I have a bunch of crude to finish purging and decarbing before i distill it.

This was my first thought as well.

So I added a bit of room temp ethanol to the bf. Nothings dissolved. So I guess its sugars and garbage.

1 Like

Just to chime in here. I had the same issue until I started using first bentonite, then switched to the clay from vacuum dynamics (it also has bentonite in it). This removed those particles for me, so I also believe it to be water solubles, most likely sugars due to the crystallization.

2 Likes

Another way to test the hypothesis that it could be THCA crystals would be to collect it in a beaker, and heat it to decarb temperatures. The crystals would melt and bubble if they were THCA crystals from decarboxylation. Let it cool back to room temp to see if it recrystallizes, if it does, it’s not THCA.

1 Like