PART 3 - Fair Retail / Consumer Pricing [HBMMDB]

Hey everyone-- back with part 3 of How to Build Multi-Million Dollar Brands + Link to 2nd Post - Net30 Terms

This is a short one inspired by the controversy over the 100,000mg CBD Coconut Oil offered by @Future

Now, you may remember that I’m not the type to offer deals like this. We don’t sell anything that costs us more than 20% of MSRP to produce. Some items cost as low as 6%, and other items in development will cost even less.

Now we’re moving ~$750k in product a month (retail value) at gross profit margins of 80% to 90%.
It’s unclear how competition and regulations will shake out-- can we keep this up for a decade?
We retail grams of outdoor-grown hemp flower for $15. We retail eighths of indoor for $60. We retail 1g D8 carts for $60. How? Brand & channel. Some of you think this is ridiculous or even wrong. My customers disagree, so save it, read, ask, and learn. Our average star rating is 4.8 out of 5 and we don’t do any funny business with reviews.

Since I wrote that original post, we’ve lowered prices between 14% and 25% on some SKU’s to be more competitive. Fortunately, economies of scale have led to cost reductions and margins to MSRP remain 80%+ on all SKU’s. Some margins are still as high as 90%.

We’ve improved quality at the same time. Going forward, flower will be greenhouse or indoor only. The gummies we’re launching are as good as they come.

Some might expect that I’m bothered by the $100 price point on @Future’s 100,000mg coconut oil, but I couldn’t care less.

Thoughts on pricing from the original thread if you haven’t read it, so I don’t have to re-state them–

Fundamentally, @Future can only get away with this price point because he has worked hard to build an organic audience that he owns and doesn’t have to pay to reach. Charging just 2x COGS is his prerogative. I do think he would make more net profit at $300 – a fair price.

People overestimate price elasticity of demand (google it). People underestimate the negative impact of too low a price on consumers’ perceptions of quality. @Future offers the price he does as a service or to manage perceptions of him (pick your poison). He’s shielded from the negative perceptions of quality because his audience trusts him.

What many people on both sides of this debate misunderstand is the economics of the consumer packaged goods supply chain, particularly for these ‘novelty products’.

The brand needs to make a 65% profit margin – not to be confused with profit mark-up – when selling to the Master Distributor, who then sells to wholesale, who sells to ‘jobbers’ (independent sales reps / small wholesalers working out of a white van) and to retail (who pick-up from the wholesale warehouse).

This 65% covers the massive costs of returns, promotion, commissions, freight, legal, tax, fixed operating expenses, and the cash flow issues associated with offering the net terms that downstream parties demand, plus some room for bootstrapped growth. A healthy CPG brand will net out 15% to 40% after all of those expenses.

The Master Distributor needs to make a 3% to 15% margin selling the product to Wholesale. Wholesale needs to make 20% to 25% selling to Retail and 5% to 20% selling to Jobbers. Jobbers need to make 5% to 15% selling to Retail.

Retail needs to double their money (50% margin).

So a product that retails for $30, costs retailers $15, costs jobbers $12.50 to $14, costs wholesalers $11.25 to $12, and costs masters $10 to $11 (economics here courtesy of @Distributionly – the king of this game). Masters & wholesalers are likely to demand exclusivity, too, and all parties will ask for flexible return policies.

Hopefully that $30 product costs the brand $3 to $4 out-the-door, or it will be tough to run a profit.

@Future cannot distribute his 100,000mg coconut oil to retail through traditional channels, let retail match his consumer price point (essential), and make money. Cost to produce for even the most well-connected and scaled up operators would be ~$50. Even going direct to retail, he won’t make money.

If you understand these economics, you will recognize that even I can’t easily go through the traditional novelty channels at my scale. They require a blended / weighted average 87% margin to MSRP. Mine is a bit lower than that so while we would survive as long as the water is smooth, we would collapse if the boat starts rocking.

If you choose to offer your products to consumers at 2x your cost, just recognize that you’ve pigeon-holed yourself to direct-to-consumer forever. Further, consumers may be suspicious of the quality of your products, and since running you’re less than a 65% margin, a little rocking of the boat could crush you if you aren’t well-diversified / well-capitalized.

15 Likes

This is a great write up. Thank you for the breakdown.

For those of us who got into this industry with the intention of helping folks get the medicine we know can help them, this may be discouraging. As a business you need to have proper margins in order to stay afloat, pay your employees, and grow. If you go under you can no longer help.

A solution to this dilemma is a special program dedicated to patients. This usually involves steep discounts, high potency products, low margins, and possibly even custom formulations. Sometimes there can be a submission process to these programs but other times the company operates off the honor system. This allows companies to uphold their values and get the product in the hands of people who need it the most while still making proper profits off their regular retail.

This approach is very beneficial especially on the custom formulation end as often these patients have specific needs or allergies that need to be addressed. Nothing makes my team happier than putting together a special order for a sick kid.

As @iLLnyeTheShatterGuy said:

Here is an example of such a program (I am not affiliated with this company).

4 Likes

$1000/kilo of cbd minus 10 gallons of coconut oil, packaging and shipping, still sounds like good eating for anyone. Especially since kilos are like $250. Great ≈ 4x

2 Likes

Correct.

False.

While our goal is simply to provide CBD to the average consumer for as low cost as possible, the $30-40 we make on each jar isn’t terrible.

You are also correct that our marketing is free, people see the low cost as a great value rather than “cheap”, and that this isn’t a “good profit model”.

Also not a good profit model, starting a forum that any consumer can use to source their own CBD for significantly cheaper, and pointing potential customers to said forum to encourage them to make high dose CBD + coconut oil themselves.

The point is that profiting in USD isn’t the prime directive of any of my companies.

9 Likes

Pro tip, the $400 kilos right now are better quality, more consistent, and coming from reliable established processors.

The $250 kilos are a pita

10 Likes

It’s only .33 a gram when you really break down the cost from 250 to 400. I think your doing a good thing @Future. His thread is about making million dollar businesses.

Maybe your cbd business won’t be a multi million dollar business but I’m sure it’s gonna be hard to undercut you and im sure if you invest them profits right you can parley it into something bigger.

Some people wanna be rich and others just wanna feed their friends and family. Different stokes for different folks.

6 Likes

I’d argue those two things can have drastically different models

Many multimillion dollar brands lose money on the face of it

5 Likes

I imagine for coconut oil some lipid isolate wouldn’t be the end of the world xD

1 Like

Sorry— I meant selling direct to retail stores, and skipping wholesale :slight_smile:

Nailed it! The CBD:Coco Oil is not completely a “loss leader” due to that we are making a minimal margin of profits.

Buttttttt…
The full profit goes directly into R&D for the development of our next “extremely medicinal” formulation that we’ve been working really hard to perfect and release soon.

CBD:CoCo helps consumers get a quality product at a great value. While providing “some” margin to roll into development of more medicinal products. Win/win

For the record… since conception of Future Compounds… our founding members (myself, Dustin, and Aaron) are NOT taking an income and are directly re-investing every dollar into more development. The only income paid at this point is to the rest of the team and their salaries, health insurance, taxes, etc.

To be 100% transparent: If it weren’t for how much GOOD the CBD:Coco is doing for those in need… as a business, I probably wouldn’t have done it in the first place. But the countless emails, DM’s, messages, texts from individuals professing how much this product is helping their loved one with cancer, Parkinson’s, seizures, etc, is why we’re so devoted to this product.

After receiving the first few DM’s from individuals with family members who it’s helped… it was a done deal for Dustin and I, and we devoted everything to keeping this available. And will continue to do so. :call_me_hand:t4:

I do want to express an extremely important fucking philosophy of business that I feel has been lost.

“Don’t drive your business by the amount of dollars you presume to make. Drive your business based on passion to achieve your goals, help others, help your team, and to do business with INTEGRITY! Money is a BY-PRODUCT of doing GOOD business!”

Seriously… Future Compounds is succeeding right now because of how many CBD:Hemp businesses that are operating by trying to maximize margins and produce sub-par products for gas stations. Targeting a consumer base that doesn’t know the dose of CBD they truly need.

We’re not doing anything revolutionary, other than doing business with integrity and putting the consumers needs above maximized margins.

This is why Future Compounds will succeed. :100:
#missionovermargin

9 Likes

:raised_hands:t4: This !

1 Like

:clap:t2: I’ve been bugging my dad to buy a jar.

Super conservative guy— never tried cannabis anything. But he’s getting tremors lately and asked me if I think CBD will help.

I told him if any CBD will, it’s your jars.

1 Like

I would love to see a series of posts like this written within the confines of the Canadian reg’s

Our model of allowable marketing and government appointed middle men is so very much full of red tape that Canadian GLG would be hanging on your every word.

True story

How does any hemp farmer make profit at $250-400 kilos? When the 2018-2020 product people fire sale dries up how will this be sustainable?
It works for now at 2x COG, but is that the true cost of goods or is it a reflection of supply, demand and brokers going to the bottom dollar?

10% hemp with a perfect extraction (unlikely) requires 22 lbs of hemp to produce 1 kg of CBD. Farmers want $8-10 a lb but will take $5 or a split. They likely have at least $2-3 invested per lb. Less than that per pound and you won’t get as quality hemp or that grower won’t be around next year because they are upside down.

At $5/lb that’s $110 in biomass per kg of CBD on a good day. One still has to extract, distill, and isolate that, which is going to be $50-100/kg of finished iso at scale (equipment, labor, consumables, insurance, facilities, safety, depreciation)

Is sub $500 the true value of CBD? Or is it a reflection of the saturated market and people trying to recoup some investment? Seems to me like this is going to strangle farmers at the end of the day.

3 Likes

Scale of economies. Some commodities are sold at super slim margins. This is what’s going on. Price of weed is coming down. Price per gram of pure thc is down to a super low margin

Some people can work at these numbers. Some can’t.

4 Likes

Right now the $250 kilos are cheap going out of business fire sale stuff. The $400 is from guys like @shynelabs that have extremely well built facilities, in smart cheap agricultural locations surrounded by large scale hemp producers, who do good reliable business with select partners.

$400 is looking like a healthy, stable price for the time being

5 Likes

$8 to $10 a lb for what? Certified organic bio?

We’re seeing 10% conventional bio going to labs for $1 to $2 per lb (depending on quantity).