Packaging slabs

HI Guys! How is every one packaging bulk orders of shatter? What is the ideal way to store it in bulk? any ideas or suggestions?

we pour slabs, put in oven, take out to “cure/dry” then package…

when we do our last flip, we put around 60g or so, onto the piece of parchment it is going to get packed on… when its done sitting out for at least 12- 24 hours (70F RT) with dehumidifier running. we put a piece of parchment on top, then put together LBS, put it in a zip lock like bag, then put the zip lock in an envelope, then put as many envelopes as I can in a vacuum seal bag, then we put it in our fridge until it is picked up…

what can I do differently? what I’m trying to prevent is the "indentation the parchment leaves on the top of the slab, and our “stable glass like shatter” when its at our office ends up being “more pliable” when it gets to the buyer… I’m assuming its moisture (but don’t know how to prevent it)

Basically what can I do to keep our product looking like it did when it was at our office, while it has to go thru transportation and sometimes has to sit and wait on negotiations and other people…

weather it be, different packaging or storing conditions. I’m up for any advice and suggestions.

Thank you in advance, cant wait to hear your responses!
xx

1 Like

Pizza boxes

20 Likes

Manila file folders.

9 Likes

@Farmlife I’m guessing you’re sealing the vacseal bag you referenced but I’ve seen some very stable product turn gooey after hitting the fridge… sometimes it’s overlooked idk

Edit: In the case that you are vaccing and sealing the bag, mind how much vac you’re pulling I’ve definitely had consistency issues after. As if it’s purging but had no where to go.

3 Likes

Use PTFE sheets instead of parchment and it’ll keep the shine and opacity you’re looking for.

8 Likes

The fridge and freezer (not trying to create a argument here) will affect the material. I saw you said you let the material sit out 12-24 hr at 70*F with dehumidifier running and then package up etc then put in the fridge. What are your temps at with in the fridge? Look into temperature effects on density…

1 Like

Thank you! I will defiantly look into that! I just purchased a wine fridge! What temp would you recommend?

1 Like

My wine fridge only goes to 55 so I have it on the lowest. But I was thinking mabey 55 is too low. And sometimes when I cut open the vac sealed bags the slabs are cloudy, but if I let them sit for a day after i cut they become clearer

45-65* depending how humid your area can be. To clearly pin point a temp to use you would have to further understand your environment and how thing react with in that environment. So for starters, whats your starting material? Fresh frozen? Dyed and cured “stabilized” material? Trim? I ask you to ask yourself because your end product can still undergo a “curing” or “tempering” process where the terps and other compounds can still be volatile and undergo changes at room temperature or with in a range of temperatures, especially if used fresh frozen material (not good if the product is waiting on hand to shuffle around). This is relative to the topic because you will start see a lot of diamonds and sauce. The terps naturally want to separate and undergo change and in terms of handling a product like that, you’d want to do your best to encapsulate all of the work the farmer and extractor did to preserve.
Worth to note while I’m here. Freezing ANYTHING can be very detrimental. When the water freezes, it expands and the ice crystals cause the cell walls to rupture. Cell walls don’t return to their original form once ruptured.

3 Likes

Sounds like condensation of moisture due to temperature differential which resolves itself after sitting in r.t. condition.

What cells are present in an BHO/EHO extract? That makes sense for plant biomass but not crude/processed extract.

I think if you can replace the air in the foodsaver bags with dry inert gas (such as nitrogen) then you can lightly vac, not fully, the bag and avoid moisture condensation during cooling, which should have the slabs lasting long (no oxidation).
Bonus points for filling your fridge/freezer with nitrogen.

In front of atoms and molecules, the cell is huge. What’s a cell? It’s the basic structural and functional unit of living organisms. Hence, this includes only living things and this cell is made up of an uncountable number of atoms, for say, atoms associate and form molecules which then combine together to form higher structures, which again forms polymers of it, which then makes heavy molecules such as proteins, carbohydrates, nucleic acids, and whatnot. These molecules are then the part of the CELL. You can imagine how many uncountable atoms are required for the formation of a single cell, which is absolutely invisible if examined with a naked eye. Soo what cells are present in an SOLVENT OR NON SOLVENT extract…Geee I dont know maybe the cells you started with before you ended up with an concentrate in your collection vessel…(Sorry I question your over all intent and intelligence by asking "what cells are present in an extract or extraction… maybe you understand something I dont)… I honesty refuse to believe anyone AND I MEAN ANYONE who clams that replacing the air with an inert gas is good practice. Do you see bags of dog food with nitrogen in them? Inert gases have there place but using to stabilize/store products is not something I would be doing with any of my product. Learn how to stabilize your environment and the products your working before breaking out expensive gasses and what not… Better use would be to get liquid nitrogen to FLASH FREEZE instead of using nitrogen gas for what you think your doing with it… Look at temperatures effects on everything and work from there.

1 Like

Reason for asking what cells are present is due to the nature of the end product, specifically a combination of Cannabinoids and Terpenes (sometimes waxes), all of which are found almost exclusively OUTSIDE of plant cells. The thing we primarily extract from Cannabis is the medicinal goo on the head of trichromes which are found OUTSIDE of the rest of the plant biomass. That said we do not want any plant cells nor their contents as they are not part of the sought after end product. If you can show me otherwise and demonstrate how the plant cell contents (outside of the trichrome heads) is relevant to the work done by Cannabis extractors I would very much appreciate that.

Aw geeez man can you like show some example where you see these plant cells in your extract? Taking from my experience I would call it a bad extract if it had any plant cell components in it that I could discern. Like when I would do EtOH runs on trim that had shredded materials (plenty of broken plant cells there) I would get a lot of gums which no one wants in their final products, are a pain to deal with in the rotovap and cause the distillation guy much grief and multiple passes to clean the product. These gums and other undesirables found in plant cells are not found in significant concentrations at the trichromes. This is one reason why I do not like doing trim runs with alcohol as it picks up both polar and non-polar molecules which the gums have properties of both. There are degumming clays and enzymes that help with that problem but I prefer to avoid it if possible (cheaper that way). Butane on the other hand is barely polar and greatly non-polar and therefore tends to avoid gums in preference to cannabinoids and terpenes.

Am I the only one that thinks that there should not be plant cells leftover in your BHO slabs, which are intended to be concentrated and/or isolated Cannabinoids + Terpenes? Did I miss the memo on plant cell components being sought after in the extract game? If so, I would love to read that memo.

My whole point there was what the flipping flop are you doing in the plant cells? What are you seeking to extract from there? Chlorophyl? Sure. Gums? Okay. Cannabinoids and terpenes? Hmmmm not really.

As for the nitrogen filling bags, that’s just an idea taking an idea to the extreme. Surely it has its nuances to be figured out as with any technique. It’s not one I have tried yet but intend to try very soon.

All that said I like the point you made on curing happening after the extraction has taken place. Actually it is something I am looking to get a better understanding of.

1 Like