Oxidation hack : ProTip of your life

DRUM ROLL !!! Simple : put your vessels (whatever you have chosen for storage) into the vacuum oven and pull it to absolute 0 (varies upon elevation) don’t have to put temp , just pull vac … why ? Because if there is nothing around said vessel to create oxygenation how can it oxidize :thinking: … it doesn’t … samples pictured have been under vacuum for 2 weeks without one sign of change . Typically i have a pretty stable finish with very little discoloration seen over a few weeks … but this has had no change in color or stability yet … *if unfinished material put inside vacuum it will react and most likely overflow vessel . If material reacts within vacuum , further remediation should be preformed . Maybe I’m crazy , anyone else ?? :man_shrugging:t2::raising_hand_man:t2:

7 Likes

Turn it water clear and see! Storage under vaccum is @Beaker 's preference for storage.

7 Likes

Well there you go then !! I have been doing to everything for a few months but I wanted to make sure there was some kind consistency to my claim before I posted it haha

I use those same jars op. I bend and bish the lids upon removal at -23hg +/-. If your pulling a deeper vac, are you able to remove the lid and not kink/Bish it up like I’ve been doing everytime I need to dig into my stock

I keep them open , no lid … there needs to nothing kept from the outside world , which could be trapped under lid … it should be completely free of any and all airspace

That will also show you if you have any contaminate left as well … if material still has any residuals you will see a reaction and will need to perform further processing of some sort

2 Likes

Check out reaction flasks here
You can use it as your receiver flask. When done with your distillation you can put a stopper on the neck and pull vac from the hi-vac valve port. When done you can close the valve and remove it from the vacuum line (it will be sealed under vac), or you can release the vac and let in some inert gas. The latter is preferred for long term storage as the vacuum will deplete over time and start to oxidize. If you use argon it is heavier than air, so you can basically lay a blanket of gas on the top and it will stay put.

7 Likes

Very NOICE !!!

what happens when you need to put it in a cartridge? is it more likely going to oxidize after reheating it?

Hmm, maybe best way would be to fill carts completely, with no air bubbles. :thinking:

No air would mean no oxygen to oxidize, right?

2 Likes

Iirc, ask @Dred_pirate what happens when you fill carts too full.

2 Likes

Haha. Ya, you are probably better off filling them with just the right amount.

And update on the next batch. If you fill them right, they click shut just fine without any problems. Who’da thunk it

2 Likes

You can also vacuum seal your Mason jars with a nifty adapter that cost less than $20 on Amazon and plugs right into a vacuum sealer😉

7 Likes