Oven vac temp and time for shatter

Before the extract is placed in the oven, most of the butane has been off gassed and reclaimed. This is why we don’t see people attaching cold traps on their vac ovens? Correct me if I am mistaken.

1 Like

Everyone should put a cold trap on there vac, but its a pricey endeavor so most ppl dont

3 Likes

I see a lot of people saying they set their temps to 110+. In my experience with BHO anything over 100 for a long period of time in the oven puts you at risk of buttering slabs especially above 120 unless your only purging for a few hours. Otherwise my preference is about 95 until slabs come to temp in oven I run it once allowing the muffin stage to pass, once it does I then crank the temp up to about 97-98 (Really depends on what the temp of the slabs read when hit with a temp gun) I try and keep everything under 100 . Then I pull vac until 95% of bubbles have cleared. FLIP and then repeat that process about 2-3 times I try not to flip to much because I notice it creates that swiss cheese shatter which gets extremely fragile lol. I prefer a solid sheet. I don’t refrigerate my slabs and almost never butter up a lot of my peers always point this out to me. For the ones using temps above 110 do you usually have those slabs long or are they gone before given chance to notice any buttering. (Usually takes about 7-10 days to start)

5 Likes

If you overpurge/have a thick spot you are likely to “budder” - more so the beginning of the nucleation for crumble. If you dont heat enough before pulling the muffin you can also nucleate(could just start with a thick spot that didnt heat enough.) I havnt purged slabs in ages but i used to run between 113-118 all day, 2 hrs one side, pull out and i can flip it within 1 min as its usualyl pretty damn stable at this point. flip it, run it for another hour-2 and ill have my pull/snap or shatter depending on starting material.

A lot may disagree but i find low and slow to be the more degrading route. 3 days of vacuum or increased heat of 15 degrees. you can also melt crumble slabs and such back to shatter, definately not the nicest for the terps and such but i believe that shows it doesnt budder from heat alone, moisture has to play imo(not fact)

2 Likes

So what’s your total purge time @ 115? When you did do it. I usually notice crumble is just from agitation and I think some strains are sensitive and budder up just from the bubbles passing through the slab to the surface from each flip. Main reason why I go low and slow.

2 Likes

I don’t think crumble is just from agitating. I’ve had Gorilla Glue #4 pretty much auto crumble on me purging it at 110°f.

I’m with you on low and slow. I go 86.7°F for 7 days with a flip every 12 - 24 hours. The first flip always waits 24 hours.

4 Likes

These temps are hurting my terp senses…

5 Likes

Before I pour, when the extraction still has a lot gas in it. I pour it into a 8oz mason jar only half full and then that goes into a deep freezer overnight. The main extraction is poured into a 9x14 Pyrex. It sets at just heat overnight in the vac oven at 85f. The next morning I filter the mason jar and pour it over the Pyrex pan the extraction sugars or diamonds in hours.

4 Likes

I’ve always wondered how it worked in the pyrex dishes thanks for this I’m actually going to try it

Damn 7 days that’s crazy patience. I’m recently seeing a lot of people talk bad about stuff purged more then so many hours that’s another thing I’m looking to figure out the best temp for the best time period

Pyrex tek 4 ever, If you are going for sugar or smaller stones

Mason Jars for bigger stones and badders (sure Pyrex works for this too, but I like to be able to seal my jar at a certain point in the whipping process)

3 Likes

Man the jar tech does and then doesn’t work for me I’m still messing with it I usually grow smaller sugar like stones. But then again I get pretty nervous closing the jar with solvent lol probably let way to much out before capping out of caution :joy:

1 Like

99.9°F a flip every 12 hours for 3-4 days is how I make quicker stuff but it’s not as good as the stuff that goes for at least 5 days.

I read here in this site that “Staging” your purge is a good idea. Such as letting it go to 15 and then wait four hours release slowly, pull again to 20 wait four hours release, so fourth and so on.

3 Likes

Yea I didn’t know there was an actual term for that lol (Staging) I actually do that just because I don’t really have room or time to let each individual slab muffin up at all which is probably why slot of people get that auto butter cause imo muffin is aggitation. I usually pull to about 20-25 if I can let it sit about an hour pull it again to 25 cause usually first pull only lets me hit about 15-20 before muffin gets close to walls. Then once I know it won’t muffin I let it rip full pull

3 Likes
2 Likes

Fuck! Anything in the oven over 85f. Let’s just say goodbye to good flavors. Sorry imo.

I did 85-91f with all my material this season. Terps galore. But that’s just on a heat pad, so I’m sure the actual temp is way cooler.

3 Likes

That’s highly debatable.

But what I do with vacuuming is situational to the action that’s observed in the oven as it’s purging.

Process is as followed: Normally I turn on the vacuum and then wait about 10 seconds for the vacuum to power up a little bit. I then slowly open the vacuum handle on the oven about three small turns and let it slowly pump to - 20Hg. As it’s purging I monitor it completely and I make sure that the muffin is not expanding too much. If it shows signs of too much expansion I close the vacuum on the oven, shut the pump off and slowly release the vacuum, wait 3 to 5 minutes and then start the purging over. I pull it as much as I can until it muffins all the way and I can shut the vacuum.

As long as it doesn’t muffin and harden to where it bursts and snows or pops against the side of the oven and coat the sides of your oven, I think letting the muffin heat up and puddle into its self isn’t what could cause crumble or auto budder. I think stir motion agitation causes that

I think high heat and having a full muffin after time with a heat plate and stir bar is a good way to demonstrate stir motion agitation.

Cause to some degree scraping stuff put of a platter is some form of agitation, pour outs from the collection could be considered come kind of agitation.

12cfm two stage on a 0.9cfm AI oven.

1 Like