Organic Hexane?

Heptane derived from pine sap would probably be considered organic. Can’t find it in quantity though.

Probably could work to transition to a different non polar like a terpene. You can buy 55 gallon drums of limonene so why not

1 Like

Do you have any more info you could share about this? I appreciate the response.

Nvm I am wrong.

Hexane are prohibited in organic processing.

Look up “organic processing aid national list”

2 Likes

All four categories may be produced using processing aids which are either removed prior to
packaging or remain behind in “insignificant amounts,” and which do not have to be identified
on the ingredient statement. (FDA regulations in 21 CFR Subpart F) However, under the NOP
the use of such processing aids is restricted in the three highest categories:
At least 70% - processing aids must be on National List
95% or more - processing aids must be on National List
100% - processing aids must be organic

Based on this quote, do you think this means I can be organic if I keep 70% of my solvents organic I can be organic certified?

Is heptane on that list? I can’t seem to find the list you’re talking about, can you link me or give me a keyword to search for?

Four clicks.

The screens aren’t in order for some reason.

2 Likes

Much appreciated!

using @spdking’s logic hexane should absolutely be organic

1 Like

@spdking =/=logical

5 Likes

@Rowan do you have any advice on this? Seems like it could be right up your alley…

EDIT: Wrong thread I thought this was my recarboxylation thread about adding the A back to THCA

2 Likes

Yes I have looked at an interested route

1 Like

I mean… I doubt anyone used any herbicides or pesticides on the dinosaurs before they got squished. Maybe it can’t be anything BUT organic

6 Likes

not dinosaurs, plant biomass before the white rot fungi figured out how to make food out of the chewy stuff…but the logic holds. the stuff it is made from has to be organic!

so the question then becomes; was it refined by distillation from sweet oil, or is it that unnatural cracked hexane the big boys are selling?

(So much for that US Dinosaur Associated Organic appellation :rofl: )

6 Likes

I think the term “organic” needs to be defined more thoroughly and used in the right context. In chemistry organic is anything that involves carbon so technicality hexane is under the branch of “organic chemistry”

3 Likes

USDA certified organic is what they’re talking about

If you have certified organic biomass that has been handled and stored by/at certified organic facilities, and you have organic ethanol you can make organic crude and distillate. Of course your facility will need to be certified organic as well. If you source organic MCT oil you can package organic tinctures and put the fancy organic emblem on your label.

What I can’t get around is the organic isolate. Neither heptane or pentane are approve process aids for organic products. Does anyone know of another solvent that can be used to make isolate that is an approved process aid?

Have you considered mechanical separation? I’ve used centrifuges to separate isolate from the rest of my distillate. Literally just allow the distillate to crystallize and then throw it in a centrifuge. Like these guys are doing to make diamonds. The yeild is exceptional and you don’t end up with a bunch of cbd left over in your mother liquor.

YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude

3 Likes

Before you use Hexane, consider that FDA considers it a Class 2 solvent. Consider Pentane, or Heptane, Class 3 solvents:

Solvents in Class 2 (Table 2) should be limited in pharmaceutical products because of their inherent toxicity. P DEs are given to the nearest 0.1 mg/day, and concentrations are given to the nearest 10 ppm. The stated values do not reflect the necessary analytical precision of determination. Precision should be determined as part of the validation of the method.

https://www.fda.gov/media/71737/download

In chemistry, organic means carbon based, which Hexane is.

In food stuff it means grown naturally, which Hexane isn’t.

4 Likes

If it comes from the oil well as hexane, and it went into the ground as plant biomass, does the intervening time/temp/pressure change the fact that it was plant derived?!?

Asking for a friend :shushing_face:

If canola could be convinced to produce hexane using only ionizing radiation or chemical mutagenesis (rather than direct genetic modification), would that hexane qualify as “organic”?

GMO propane…

Structure-based engineering of enzymes can also change the active site and hereby improve the enzyme activity. A modified ADO from Procholorococcus marinus with point mutation A134F had an altered substrate specificity with enhanced activity towards short-chain aldehydes and could hereby improve about twofold total titer of propane (0.46 mg/L) in E. coli [32].

5 Likes

It went into the ground as biomass, where it combined with a plethora of nasty things and was subjected to heat and pressure, a synthetic process with regard to naturally grown plant matter. You might be able to safely eat the algae that the crude oil was made from, but crude oil itself is insalubrious if ingested.

They should certainly be able to produce a C-6 simple Alkane from Canola oil, and ostensibly it would not contain the nasties found in crude oil, but we are still faced with the issue of Hexane being listed as a Class 2 solvent due to its central nervous system toxicity.

It can be and is used worldwide for food product extractions, as long as it is safely purged below levels of concern and if you read the studies, it wasn’t the people eating those food products that suffered, but workers breathing the Hexane vapors.

5 Likes

Organically derived alpha amanitin is pretty nasty stuff too…

I’m all for evidence based risk assessment, and not a huge fan of the “if it’s not natural, it’s not good for you crowd”.

Eg: How to: Convert CBD to THC mass production - #142 by cyclopath

Was sort of hoping that a US Dinosaur Associated Organic appellation might gain traction…

:joy::rofl::joy:

3 Likes