Oregon's ban on interstate commerce is unconstitutional. Or is it?

Great Story. It’s worth a listen or read.

TL:DR: In states where cannabis is legal, overproduction has led to a surplus. In Oregon, for example, there is nearly a pound of dried cannabis for every person in the state. Entrepreneurs like Matt Ochoa, who runs Jefferson Packing House, suggest solving this problem by trading and selling cannabis to other states.

However, legal barriers, including both federal and state laws, prevent the interstate transport of cannabis. Ochoa and lawyer Andrew DeWeese are part of a lawsuit against Oregon, arguing that the state’s ban on cannabis export is unconstitutional under the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

This clause gives Congress the authority to regulate commerce between states. The lawsuit aims to challenge these state-level restrictions and open up interstate trade in marijuana.

You can’t stop a grocery store from buying Washington apples to sell in Oregon and same goes for ganja.

Read: Weed can't be shipped across state lines. A lawsuit in Oregon hopes to change that : NPR

Listen (20 min): Episode 602: Big Weed : Planet Money : NPR

4 Likes

It sounds like a pr stunt. Apples arent federally illegal. The court would likely say that if Congress wanted interstate mj trade, then they would have legalized it.

1 Like

Lol what. As if you could suddenly trade interstate if OR law changed? I think the FBI would have something to say about that.

If you can’t sell your weed in your own state……what makes you think it will sell in others?

This is the end. They just don’t know it yet.

3 Likes

:point_up::point_up::point_up::face_with_peeking_eye::smirk:

Cali/Oregon weed used to be very desired in Texas. Can’t say anyone cares anymore. Let it come from Michigan or Oklahoma or Colorado. Doesn’t matter as long as it’s proper.

Just when you feel like youve seen and heard every stupid thing out here and then bam here comes a whole new level of stupid you ever knew even existed.

Innovation in cannabis is very much alive

Edited for clarity

1 Like

I absolutely believe hardware and product Innovation will continue. Just nearing the stages of it being primarily retail side. Vapes will always be upgrading and competing. Your niche is here to stay.
Consumer products will see the big uptick.

Why not just get a hemp “THCA” license, problem solved rite ? lol

:crazy_face:

6 Likes

I’d wager a huge majority of the weed that’s ever been grown in Oregon could’ve never been sold (to a consumer) there so it was sold to consumers in a different state

2 Likes

But before there were limited states growing cannabis. Now every state grows it or pretends to grow it and calls it hemp.

Being a place legal weed can grow is just not good enough these days.

Dumb fire ass weed don’t ever have to leave the state it’s grown in.

5 Likes

Until interstate commerce becomes legal, I agree

What happens if interstate commerce starts happening?

Even more competition and likely less sales. Humboldt should be an indicator of what’s gonna happen. They at one time had a stranglehold on the cannabis game in the early millennium. Now how’s that area doing in cannabis, and they have one of the biggest economies in the world.

As more states become legal, it removes the dependence on cannabis from other states.

3 Likes

people will pay for novelty/variety/quality

I know I’d pay to get echo electuary live resin shipped to me anywhere it was an option :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Same thing as hemp. Prices will continue to fall, subpar goods will move around more. Processing will be done at the cheapest toll facility after factoring transportation/fuel costs, with next to no regard for the quality of the outputs.

For the good high test smokable it’ll probably never have to leave the state it was grown in to sell. For the seedy low grade crap it’ll end up wherever someone will buy or process it.

1 Like

nope. it depends on if a state will allow vertical integration and if they’ll open business up to non private businesses. state laws will still vary.

Still not understanding how more competition is gonna increase demand.

:man_shrugging:t3:

These are pretty simple economics problems. Oregon’s heyday is long behind us

6 Likes

yeah true but then they’ll have more taxes and they’ll jack up the price. though, a great way to do that would be to charge more per distance. like if you were shipping from california to ohio you’d have to pay like 120 more … maybe growing fees, packaging fees and testing fees too.

it’s not. the only thing that would increase demand is gaining more customers and opening up interstate purchases with cannabis doesn’t assure that.