[Open Source Design Project] - Falling Film Evaporator

ethanol
distillate

I see scrubbies! This is a thing of beauty in every way! Multiple effect and all! Now we just need to apply these concepts to cannabinoid distillation! :grin:

Yeah, but it’s still a single effect system, it appears. Not very efficient… akin to a large simple still. @Future and Agile Stainless appear to be on the right track, as is @downtheterphole’s company!

Can anyone recommend some gear pumps?

Would this work?

Applications:
Hot Tub/Spa/Swimming Pool Heating
Marine (Salt Water) Applications
Outdoor Wood Boilers, Furnaces, Stoves
Radiant Heating
Solar Heating
Snow Melting
Oil Cooling
Heat Recovery
Gravity Feed
Brewing, Dairy or Wine Processing
Other liquid to liquid and water to water heat exchange applications

None of the illustrations show where the vacuum source is in the system. Is it past where the vapor outlet is in the separator vessel? Would that cause the ethanol vapor to follow that path?

What is the average vacuum that is being pulled? And what is,the corresponding temperature the mixture is being heated to evaporate?

It’s usually after the condenser on most units I’ve seen. There are a few ways of doing it but that’s easiest with standard equipment. Temperature/pressure gradient causes it to follow that path generally.

Vacuum is anywhere from shallow to deep depending on application, hardware, and setup. Most commonly people tend to set the vac to a level that sets the BP around 50 or 60 Celsius.

Info on this other technology

Sorry for jumping in then disappearing.

Cannabis extraction tech seems to be reinventing the wheel. For Alcohol Evaporation.
•Small diameter tube and shells all set at increased temps to slowly reheat alcohol from -80°C Up
•Mash Mixer with heated jacket.
•Alcohol Distillery
•Plate Heat Exchangers
•Jacketed Fermenters
•Jacketed Bright Tanks
•Lenticular Beverage filtration
•Alcohol pumps

Except you should use all that cold alcohol to condense your liquor :wink:

Cold saturated etoh through the tubes and ethanol vapor through the shell!

I was thinking the same thing -80c is a hell of a thing to waste! Imagine how cold your condenser would be lol!

… this is a fantastic idea. Guess I’m re-vamping my process flow diagram for that cryo system now.

Could have sworn you were in the room when I bought that up in Vegas.

And actively participating in the discussion.

But I was in or monitoring several threads at once so I could easily be mistaken. :slight_smile:

Most likely. We’ve gone over the idea at agile multiple times as well. The hot ethanol vapor should be ran passed the cold incoming solution for sure

It’s entirely possible. My wee pea brain fills up really fast and likes to kick information onto a “think about this later” list that inevitably gets lost somewhere.

Should be a relatively simple thing to work out, for a certain value of simple.

• Yes, I’m an idiot as much of you have elegantly pointed out. If it wasn’t for the errorgance in my proclamation I may have been taken more seriously.

*I’m sorry for pointing out that the technology already exists to cold extract oils and terpenes and recovery each fraction individually with minimal smearing.

*I’m sorry if I offended anyone that may have invested 1000’s of hours going from prototype to 2.0 to 3.0 etc. To reinvent something from the 1300’s.

I’ll just bow out of the discussion and let the Delta9 Experts have their fun. Although everyone here has taught me something which I greatly appreciate.

What are some ratios of condensing surface area vs evaporation surface area in marketed FFE designs?

1:1 works, it’s how well you can transfer that heat in/out and temperatures of heater/condenser

It depends on what you’re using for thermal transfer fluids. For example, if you’re using oil for heating and water for cooling, you can get away with a little less on the cooling side, due to differences in specific heat capacity. Just keep the flow rate higher on the cooling side…if you’re using water for both hot and cold, then 1:1 makes sense.

WTF are you talking about?

the only one calling you anything is you.

where did you point out cold extraction?
can you show Falling Film or multi-effect evaporators from the 1300’s?
Or just pot stills?

did they use vacuum on those stills?
was there any concern for the residence time in the evaporator?

Bow out?
How about you join in?

You speak like you have knowledge you wish to share.
yet you speak of it as if has been rejected.

you haven’t given us anything to reject, so wandering off cause we didn’t take you seriously is the only idiotic move I can point to.

and it’s recoverable at this point…