Open source crop steering solutions and tools

I have been working on an open source crop steering project, and I am coming up on completing a majority of the commercial offering. I will be offering all the tools that are a part of my commercial offering, as open source for the community to use and build on their own.

The first offering is remote relay control. The relay controller relies on MQTT to receive the logic or timers for the relays. You can connect the mqtt controller to any mqtt broker, such as Home Assistant, or you can setup your own broker and feed the data from node red for logic.

The controller is built and supported on Esp32 Microcontrollers. This includes but is not limited to WROOM, s2, and s3. I utilized a low cost AC/DC 12v relay from HiLetGo, on amazon for roughly $11. Combined with the cost of the MCU(Esp32s2 $8) the controller cost is roughly $19.

I will be adding more builds, tools, and modules to the offering. I will keep this thread and the github updated as the project progresses.

14 Likes

Is this the discord project? If so happy to see the progress.

It’s the start. I’m going to get a few of the modules ready for OS and then I’ll do some docs on like a “macro” setup.

The focus will be Cultivation, but a lot of these tools can be used to automate and monitor the lab as well. I will be releasing modbus, rs485, SDI-12, canbus breakout, PWM etc.

Taking any requests for sensors. Sensors can be rated. Low cost means encapsulation is not an issue.

2 Likes

That’s dope. It’s nice to see projects coming to fruition. When you say macro, what’s that in context of size?

I was watching Pinnacle for a while on IG but I know he’s still going through trials as well.

1 Like

Yea, as far as setting up at scale and what an entire automation system would entail.

2 Likes

Oh, and for any of the KISS farmers, that might want to go on vacation. You can control the system by hand on your phone tablet or computer.

3 Likes

Sub $30 SDI-12 datalogger and telemetry.

This datalogger uses mqtt for telemetry and control. It can feed any backend system like, Home Assistant, ESPHome, or InfluxDB. The firmware is compatible with all SDI-12 sensors, from simple thermometers, soil, co2, spectrometers and more. All firmware, and build instructions will be moving to the below github. Once things have moved ill update the original post. If anyone needs help getting started feel free to message me with any questions.

10 Likes