Opaline Silica Thread

Yeah, @Future, I got them. I was just writing another novella when you reiterated the questions for me! Thanks!

8 Likes

Thanks for the very through answer!

I’m learning more about depth filtration, again thanks to everyone here, and the various ways one can accomplish this, cotton is another one that is good to keep in mind.

I’m excited to try some of this stuff for sure now, a granule sized product sounds much better to use as far as flow is concerned. Hopefully I can grab a few #s from someone when more people get their hands on it.

4 Likes

So this is for bho only correct? Someone mentioned it’s a nogo for alcohol, as it may dissolve this.

Can one run a propane mix with this as well, I assume so, but just curious.

(sorry if I’m asking too many questions btw, just trying to feed my curiosity, and keep the thread relevant!)

3 Likes

This is why we would never use silica. Silicosis is no joke. Running oil that people are going to smoke threw this is just crazy IMO. There really is no studies to know if this could be hurting people when running cannabis oil through it… All for the sake of color…

Wouldnt opaline silica be the same?

Here is the secret of secrets, and you MUST have a local supplier of the big sacks of Oil-Dri. The white plastic fiber sacks seem to have the right stuff more often than the brown paper sacks, but the most important part is the labeling:

12 Likes

@Curious_Roberto, Cotton is perfect as long as you do NOT allow it to compress in the direction of flow.
Use a fast flow mesh screen below them, so they cannot escape through any port holes (they can, believe me!).
You can then place cotton balls, spirals facing up, side by side tightly to fill all the gaps in a space that is about the same height as the cotton balls. I like to rub the fibers across the top, too, to ensure all the gaps are covered. You do not want more than the length of maybe half a cotton ball of open space above them, because if you ever have any backpressure (it happens!), it can blow your balls all out of whack! No bueno!
Then put a supportive fast flow mesh screen gasket over them to lock them in place, and also to support any weight above them, so they do not get crushed (crushing down would be compression in the direction of flow).
This is what I use below every biomass vessel, as well as any media vessels. It filters very fine and fast, and rarely will it ever clog outright!

I have only used this media for BHO and propane… I use gas delivery propane at room temperature to generate compressible pressure in BHO systems… nitrogen is considered an “incompressible gas”. Yes, you can use liquid propane in this media, as well as other alkanes.

At least 1 or 2 people I told at GLG want to try it with red distillate in higher alkane (e.g. n-heptane, n-pentane) solution.

I have also yet to try it with ethanol solutions of crude resin or distillate.

I do not have a lab right now, so some good people have offered to do these experiments and let me know how it goes! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@randlerimper , You are correct that silicosis is no joke. It is painful at best and deadly at worst! Amorphous hydrated silica (like this opaline type) does not cause silicosis the way glass fiber (amorphous non-hydrated silica), sand, quartz, and cristobalite crystalline silica do. However, nearly ALL dust from the earth contains some levels of crystalline silica. Dab rigs and bangers are made of silica, and even frosted glass and “quartz” types, which can shed silica particles. We breathe silica, the bad kind, every day, in fact. Luckily, any ultra fine silica dust that could possibly make it through the processing filters from CRC would be trapped in the sticky reclaim, water and convoluted airways inside dab rigs. Even if you got a silica contaminated dab, you would probably breathe less silica from it than you would breathe driving through a dust cloud from a nearby tractor tilling a dry field. :v:

18 Likes

No ventilation??? Yuk

2 Likes

I’m telling you guys, you don’t want this to happen.

On a normal note. Would you say that the amount of media is roughly the same amount as used before (neutral clay and silica), or are we all going to need to build an elaborate new chamber?

5 Likes

Doing the rough math from what @Photon_noir posted, it’s 25 cubic inches per kilo.

A 4" spool that’s 2" long is just under 25 cubic inches.

3 Likes

Wait… B80 clay is dug out of the dirt, bagged, and sent to customers?
Where?

I want a dirtpile too.

4 Likes

Pretty much, that’s all it is.

But since @shadownaught peeps sent me the class samples to my house. Which arrived as I was boarding the plane. Haha. I have a butt load of t5.

Pure flo / oil dri does everything on site and is also Kosher and NSF certified.

Geórgia

3 Likes

That sounds perfect. Might also take less media to get that happy color

2 Likes

Whoever Tom is, I spoke to him a couple of times today. He’s sending me a couple gallon jugs which what @Photon_noir posted above. I’m ecstatic to try it. It’s coming out of a mine in California. Taft… Maybe? I can’t remember exactly what he said

3 Likes

Ya the b80 mine is in Georgia.
The opaline is the Taft mine
Im excited to hear this goes!

1 Like

maybe you do…

you could always start the rumor that playa dust works for CBD to delta9 :wink:

15 Likes

:rofl: that’s how

1 Like

Playa dust hahahahahahahahaha

6 Likes

It definitely makes D10

https://foresight.org/Conferences/MNT05/Papers/Gillett1/

Table two, BRP is Black Rock Playa

Pretty fascinating, very in depth analysis of silicates

6 Likes

Is that the structure of silicates? What’s with the cool shapes?
Edit: cool

3 Likes