Opaline silica for sale (possibly)

Lol its sold at my local ace as pine spirits, but im swriously wondering now. Why do terpenes have an exothermic reaction with this stuff?

1 Like

Chemistry class volcano, some things just donā€™t work together

Lol with the volcano thats an obvious reaction. But with this, could it be due to heat generated from adsorption or a real chemical reaction?

2 Likes

Probably a similar explanation to the volcano. Thatā€™s not surprising to us because weā€™re used to knowing mixing vinegar and baking soda makes C02.

For all we know, this could be something similar to a hands warmerā€¦

6 Likes

Turpentine is what gas degrades to with age

Or atleast thatā€™s what my dad would say when he would smell old gas that was bad

Just got off the phone with the supplier, and they had no idea what I was talking about lol.

The dude just said lemme see if that kitty litter has a serial number and Iā€™ll call you back.

This is pretty funny honestly, weā€™re wanting this product for a reason most of the people selling it have no idea about. I could tell the guy on the phone wondering wtf Iā€™m asking all this for.

Lol I knew something was funky when @J12 posted that pic. What he was supposed to have recieved should have been a white color.

Cant expect much out of these folks, their company is based around cleaning up oil spills. Theres no reason their reps should have to supply the kind of info weā€™re looking for. Their main focus is surface area n thats it :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, I donā€™t expect a customer service rep to know all these things at all, was a crap shoot I figured. I kept it as simple as possible and only asked for a serial number.

The guy did call back, and he went to their warehouse and didnā€™t see a serial number anywhere, which is even funnier because this is going to be like a easter egg hunt or something!

They could totally green tax this shit as itā€™s own separate product and sell it for a fortune.

1 Like

Its kinda hard trying to find a source of soluble silica powder thats not being sold as a plant nutrient and just as expensive as silica gel.

2 Likes

Am I misunderstanding this, or did yā€™all ask oil dri for one thing and they sent another?

I personally havenā€™t had any samples sent, Iā€™m trying to see if thereā€™s anyway anyone can just grab a bag of this shit off the webz for a reasonable price and get the right product.

But it looks like that mighta happened to J.

I used it the same as i do B80. Good flow rate 5 min soak time. nothing got through into the end product but didnā€™t see any remediation?

They didnt know what @Curious_Roberto was talking about, it seems like they dont even know their inventory.

https://www.agsorb.com/tds.html
AG_GARVM_1630tan.pdf (3.3 MB)

This is what 16/30 RVM came up with on google.

This seems to be what @J12 got sent a sample of.

1 Like

When i talked to Tom we discussed what it was being used for and the process he did tell me it was in granular opposed to the b80. itā€™s gonna be a pain in the ass if you have to mill all this into powder before use

1 Like

It was inline distribution that I called about this stuff, he kept saying they call it kitty litter lol. This was the nj branch. They wouldnā€™t even get me to any other branch. It was entertaining tbh.

1 Like

@Photon_noir a ny insight on things? Did you have to mill it down into a powder?

1 Like

RVM 16/30 certainly does come from the taft mine in CA. And it certainly is ā€œhydrous aluminosilicateā€. So looks like they did send you the right stuff.

1 Like

So looking at the sds you posted earlier, I noticed that thereā€™s a si02 content of 70% and h20 as 8%. The content is two separate items listed.

Hereā€™s where is just donā€™t know things period, is that the same things as hydrated, or opaline, or amorphous hydrated silica? Trying to use all the correct terms lol.

And thanks for responding to my dumbed down questions. Iā€™m trying to learn as best as I can!

What volume of opaline silica did you use? How quickly did you flow your solution past?

1 Like

So I got my column ready i loaded it with 3 cups of opaline per about 2600 FF. Then froze the column. Ran it the next day. Injection took 2 minutes to fill let it soak for another 3 and then dumped.

1 Like