Only The Strong sauce tek

To every one we also advise once you feel you have achieved proper separation. Open jar and quickly pour terps into smaller jar allow some diamonds to flow in as well. Cap and place back on heat for another week or 2 to ensure precipitation has ended.

10 Likes

Mine looks nothing like that after 24 hours. Right now I have small tiny white specs forming. Are these crystals? Do they start off as these thint specs?

4 Likes

Yes it could take 4 or more days to get a good crash off. And yeah they start as little dots and bloom out into what i showed a picture of.

4 Likes

Have you tried cold heptane yet? I know it takes more heat energy to remove unless under deep vac, but should have similar properties.

4 Likes

Update: Ive had the jars sitting in the freezer for 72 hours and this is the crystal growth I’ve had so far. No dewaxing or anything but it seemed to work well!

15 Likes

How do some diamond makers have such super clear perfect diamonds? We get that sometimes, but many of ours end up a bit more opaque and cloudy. Also: Any special techniques anyone can recommend for breaking up the diamonds in the jar after you have drained the terps out?

3 Likes

Occlusion and inclusion. If you grow em big and fast impurities get caught in the lattice

18 Likes

To expound on that a little more.

Crystallization of Organic Compounds: An Industrial Perspective

Section 2.7

Specifically 2.7.1 paragraph 5(last paragraph)

Its your mother liquid getting trapped in cavities between the layers of crystals in your clusters/agglomerates. Its not actually part of the crystal lattice, if sufficiently sized you can separate em’ and clean the surface, well at least ime the larger the easier to separate vs break up or dissolving and recrystallize. Its the same concept for crumble / wax but micro crystalline.

also, “growing big and fast” dont belong in the same sentence regarding crystallization.

11 Likes

Agreed, fast crystalization is typically microcrystalline. Large crystals take time to form.

Pressurizing THC-a with strong very non polar solvents still present creates a magnitude of variables that create a less pure product. The density of THC-a is not very high. Crystalization should occur with only slightly higher than atmospheric pressure.

Dissolution is the principal function of crystalization. If the solvent used for dissolution requires trapping butane there is not enough initial terpene content in the starting crude product.

10 Likes

Update #2: All of my crystals dissolved after letting the jar sit at room temp for an hour. I put into the oven at 80F with jars tight afterwards just to see what would happen. So far it has just condensed to a small layer. It has syrup-like consistency but no seperation layer and no crystals.

Is this what is supposed to happen or no?

1 Like

Why not grow big and fast, then smash and wash, for bulk THCa production?

21 Likes

I’ve been told the same thing. I have done a lot of research and couldn’t find much

For the room temp phase its just to ensure their isnt to much solvent present. If its already down to 1/3 or less then you can skip that. Just leave it now and youll get crystal growth.

5 Likes

Let me have some centrifuge specs. I have a connection there.

4 Likes

So you freeze the jar of crystals while the terp layer is doing the secondary nucleation? Then put crystals back in oven before your ready to pull a vac?

Trying to get my crystal purge tech down.

4 Likes

Im just starting to play around with making diamonds/sauce after seeing the #onlythestrongktek . After 2 days in the freezer I Noticed an odd white bloom on the bottom of the jar, I took the jar out of the freezer and opened lid at room temp for a couple hours, the bloom melted. I then put the jars back in the freezer , came back a couple hours later and the blooms had multiplied all over the bottom and sides of jar, looking similar to your example. This is from a cured resin trim run, extracted using a PX1 , with a 70/30 solvent blend. dewaxed inline for 2 hours at -30c .

37 Likes

All the jars had a white layer on the inside coming out of dry ice. Jar on left is most diluted and they get thicker to the right. Still unsure about how much solvent to leave or if I succeeded.

1 Like

For the purge. After youve seen a good reaction but it has paused. Open the jar. And pour it into another smaller jar and throw in a few clean crystals and cap it again and place back on heat for a week or 2. After a week or 2 youll have seen more growth from here open and pour into a pyrex dish and purge that way. This allows more surface area to achieve low enough ppm.

9 Likes

Thank you very much

2 Likes

Those blooms are thca crashing off and forming. Thats exactly what you want to see. This stage is to get the thca to the bottom of the jar to give larger formations. Once you put in on heat do your best not to disturb it. Youll get better growth if it doesnt get moved around.

14 Likes