Older material vs newer material EHO

Hey I have a buddy that has quite a bit of trim thats anywhere to 3-9 months old that’s all been bagged and stored in a dark room. I under stand older material yields a darker extract but how much more? If I perform a QWET am I able to achieve some clarity instead of dark brown?

1 Like

really only one way to know.
even then it will probably vary by strain.

have you looked into magic dirt?

https://future4200.com/search?q=ethanol+color+remediation

5 Likes

Yes I’ve read pretty much the whole EHO remediation and use clay and carbon in my filtration. The thread itself makes me question older material because of the lack of success without using a BHO. This will be one of the larger purchases I’ve made with trim and I just nailed down my process and don’t want to go back to dark brown because my patients don’t understand that color isn’t every thing. I’m getting a decent deal so it’s a coin flip for me at this point.

3 Likes

Can you use heptane instead?

1 Like

I could but don’t know where to source a pure product of it. (Locally). If I use it don’t I want n-heptane?

Yeah, n-heptane should be used. You can order it on Amazon, but not in large quantities I’d imagine. Just keep in mind if you choose to use heptane you need to be more proactive about ppe and outdoor ventilation than might’ve been necessary with ethanol. The biggest issue is it will pull a decent amount of fats and waxes that you’ll need to remediate later, though I can’t remember if someone verified that at very low temps around -60C. @Kingofthekush420 runs a heptane extraction with good color results.

3 Likes

You’ll pull a little fats at -60, heptane is awesome for warm extraction. Itll give you better color then warm ethanol, although you’ll need a good filter to filter out all the fats and lipids it pulls

3 Likes

Personally I’d rather not have to run any BHO solvents. The benefit of running a BHO comes down to filtration and consumables correct? So could I just as easily extract with ethanol and then recover and dilute with heptane, filter and basically achieve similar results?

1 Like

Hydrocarbon solvents? BHO is an extract…

Yes, redissolving in a hydrocarbon to CRC is totally legit

Edit: you could even keep the heptane and CRC in your Back pocket in case you don’t like the color of your ethanol extraction

4 Likes

The problem is that the ethanol will pick up things into the solution during extraction that would otherwise be left behind if extracted with a more non polar solvent. Once those molecules are in your extract it becomes more difficult to remove than it would’ve been to just exclude them at the start. That’s been my take away from all these crc methods and attempts.

1 Like

Honestly I’m a newb when it comes to anything outside a bucket Tek lol. I do quite a bit of research but when it’s only hands on what I can figure out myself and implementing these tests on the little bit of trim I get (few lbs).

I’ve read about the crc thread but I’m clueless to what it exactly is and how I can build one for my use. Is using a cake/scrub in Buchner similar in regards to crc?

@CuriousChemist22
Yeah I usually get my soaks to about -50+ so im hoping I can elimate that as much as I can. Doing like 3-5 mins. Now I’m buying half the load of the older trim running and seeing what’s happens! Gotta jump now or later :laughing:

running butane through a buchner is not for the faint of heart…unless “rm temp” is below -20C. generally something with a higher boiling point (eg heptane) is a safer trick.

2 Likes

Looks like I’m in need of more research, is crc limited to butane?

Hydrocarbons, or more correctly the lower Alkanes, of which Butane is one, seem to be an more effective solvent system for differentiation the target compounds from non-target when looking for non-target absorption.

I think.

I’m pretty sure the cat is out of the bag on the magic dirt I was using with butane under @Photon_noir’s tutorage & I’ve played a little with AC and ethanol extracts, but I’m still several months from having my own hard data on that distinction.

3 Likes

Have you read the EHO color remediation thread? It explains how we apply the concepts used in butane crc to ethanol methods. Ultimately @TheLostBiologist put together a great write up on his tek before this all started and it’s worth a read for sure.

3 Likes

Yeah my Tek is based off of @TheLostBiologist. I think the consumables do well for overall product but when it comes to color I think quick washes and how fresh the material is plays the biggest factor.

1 Like

The difference with going with a nonpolar extraction and color remediation method is even with old material you can get good color results, whereas with alcohol extraction the remediation tends to leave behind red hues on old material that are very difficult to remove.

3 Likes

And those reds are not removed by running the ethanol extract over absorbents in a hydrocarbon?!?

Guess I’ve got more reading to do.

I haven’t managed to get water clear yet. But i haven’t been playing with adsorbent blends much either. Picture below is EHO, louche to Pentane, then crc

The stuff I ran recently did have some light underlying reds, but I only did b80 with no pH change… But I think a pH swing wash coupled with some activated alumina + b80 + silica in a crc should probably take care of 90% of the color issues

1 Like

Is that older material?

Either way bravo that’s :fire:

1 Like