Old material crc mix

I have come across some older material apparently.

I ran 2 6x48in columns with low grade material with using a column packer to acheieve approx 15 lb per column.

Im using a crc 6x18.in
Media used
Cry mix(media bro) 2 cups bottum
6 cups b80
2cups silica
2cups cry
2cups silca
2 cups cry
I tried thos after i used

8cups b 80
3cups silca
And 4cups cry

Material is old bit…

This is extreme amount of sands used with a result this dark.

Any insights on getting bettet color?

Whip it

2 Likes

Yeah use the right powders in the right ratios instead of a hoge poge of all the powders, go through em slow a preferably with no fats wax or lipids

Enough b80 w lil silica60 and you’d need nothing else

3 Likes

Yup, simplify your mix, and use a a proper ratio

CRY and CRX are garbage, throw them out and use the B80 and silica

Be sure you bake and dry your media before use.

4 Likes

I usually do
De bottom . b80. Silica. Alumina top

Bvv suggested
Alumina bottom b80 then silca. Is where i got the sands mixed differently. Used the cry in place of the alumnia.
Inagree cry doesnt work as advertised. I used way more sands than the ratios bvv suggested and way more than i usually do.
It crumbled out at least but the color sucks and there is prbly 500 more lbs of the material

Redissolve the dark material and increase your dilution ratio before running it back through new media. Try 5:1 or 7:1 w/w (solvent:oleoresin).

1 Like

Yes i was considering that.
I used a column packer loading the column .
Im thinking about doing a test column just handpacking and see how color comez out.i know its pretty old material.
It crumbled out so mot completely decarbed .
I was a lil concerned about it not coming out stable if i melt and reshoot . it has happened in the past to me. I dont have this issue often.
Definately scratching my head with the amount of sands used. Over twice my normal