Oklahoma Fresh Air Intake Requirement For Extraction Rooms

Honestly, I am not sure how it would work or compliance on that.

It seems they should really use two venting systems and a flammable gas detector. One fan to maintain a baseline airflow through the room and out, and a second larger system activated by the flammable gas detectors to evacuate the room in the event of an unsafe condition. The first pulls air conditioning through the space normally and exhausts it. The second could pull outdoor air.

6 Likes

We did speak with them about several options and were told operational and purge airflow would need to come from outside the building.

That sucks.

2 Likes

I was always under the impression that it had to come from plenum space, or fresh air (outside). At least I think that’s what I was told by Hal

An air conditioner would actually be pretty easy to incorporate with the proper chiller with appropriate power. The mta I have has something like 56kw of cooling power and that can handle the heat load of the Huber 915. I had an idea that it could power a form of radiator in the duct feeding the booth and cool the incoming air stream. In places where a cooling tower wouldn’t suffice, this may be a doable option.

2 Likes

Same line of thinking here as well, but I don’t want to go through the steps to only be told that it’s not complaint. Because they don’t have consistent standards for the state it makes it impossible to make sure until it’s inspection time. Unfortunately that also varies from county to county here too and how THEY interpret the laws. It’d definitely frustrating.

2 Likes

One thing that’s important to remember, the code is a minimum standard. Your local AHJ can require things above and beyond.

2 Likes

You think that’s bad. There used to be a fire marshall in Denver that would pull your license and close your business if he caught you pouring your extract into a Mason jar

3 Likes

Several states do not require fresh air intake or forced air intake, luckily. Sometimes, with many variables, you have to have a makeup air source so it doesn’t pull the room and/or building into a vacuum. Which I could get on a soap box with that one, but you get my drift. lol

Edit: Maybe that’s what Hal was referring to?

1 Like

:flushed: :persevere: Wow

Maybe point out to the authorities that many hvac systems use flammable hydrocarbons so they are engineered to be safe

I was blasting in Denver when that started. There was a walkthrough and a jar just happened to blow in the oven when the fire department was there. Bam. Instant letter to “All stakeholders” that all diamond production in Denver must cease. Then they started requiring SOP approval and issued individual certificates to MIPs to make them.

2 Likes

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing. Oklahoma is becoming the strictest jurisdiction in the nation in regards to hydrocarbon processing regulations, even moreso than Cali. Their requirement makes sense though from a safety standpoint. Maybe you can use a swamp cooler like system to cool the air a bit before it enters while keeping it somewhat cost effective?

3 Likes

Man I had some labs I worked at for a while that had swamp coolers…
Felt like I was working in a jungle in the summer lol.

Swamp doesn’t help a ton in my experience, and causes a ton of mold issues if you aren’t cleaning everything super well every few months.

3 Likes

if weed was legal people would be more likely to use professional extractors and less likely to be like me.

I manage a lab in the Denver city limits and it is the worst. No jar teks, no electrical pumps EI MVP/Corken, no crc/dewaxing columns. Brian Lucas from the fire department is the worst.

We tried to get a corken pump approved for a year jumping through all their non sensical hoops then just last week he said they did not know enough about it to approve and we should try to go through the building department.

1 Like

isnt a corken pump just standard for transferring hydrocarbon= he sounds like an idiot or have you tried bribing him??? Is offering free shit to inspectors even illegal? i know its illegal for them to accept it but?

Yea it works well in dry climates like California and in large open warehouse like our shop but even then, it def is nothing like having a dedicated AC unit.

1 Like

I feel like a lot of that could be due to the fear mongering from the local engineering firm and lack of knowledge from fire depts. If you had a fire protection engineer write a report saying that it is safe for use, I bet they’d consider it. The fire dept usually just wants someone else like an engineer to take all liability at the end of the day.

3 Likes

Evaporative cooling is only therodynamically efficient at below 50% humidity, and preferably around 20-30 iirc.