Oil won’t dissolve in heptane?

So trying my first LLE. An when I went to mix the oil an heptane after degumming. I think I let it cool to much. I have 500g oil mixed with about 2000ml of heptane. But not dissolving to well. Any tips to help it dissolve faster? It is pretty cold in my work environment but I can’t change that

Heat /pressure or agitation

hot plate should help
any kind of heat really

a little more solvent would help too… 4:1 is about as low as you should go.

My hot plate is not c1d1 compliant so I worry about heating the heptane. Any idea wat a safe temp would b?

Just start low, like 100F and ramp up if you need to… Probably wouldn’t go over 180F though. But I don’t think you would even need to get it that hot. 100F-120F should do it.
boiling point is over 200F and auto ignite point is really high, somewhere around 450F…

Flash point is only 25F but as long as you have no ignition source you’ll be fine.

I worry about the 25f flashpoint with the hot plate being a source of ignition. Think ima add a lil more heptane an let it sit over night while shaking it occasionally an it’s not dissolved tomaro gunna try the hot plate. Thanks for the input

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan to me! Keep us posted.

The other thing I worry about heat is the degumming enzyme is still in. But I think it already incubated so I guess once in heptane it should not effect the enzyme