Offical HydroBuddy thread

The donations are not tax deductible, these are directly made to my name (as I don’t have any non-profit setup around HydroBuddy). I receive normally around 50 USD per year in these donations - which I am very grateful for - but that doesn’t seem worth the hassle to setup a foundation around.

2 Likes

I also don’t know how many of you guys participated in the Utah State University online Cannabis course that was started last year by Bruce Bugbee (I recorded several lectures for this), this year I will include a lot more content around HydroBuddy, low cost nutrient preparation, organic hydroponic growing and possibly a lecture on low cost data logging using Arduinos.

I will be going to Bruce’s lab in August to record the new lectures.

There are going to be a lot of new and updated lectures from the other lecturers as well (a lot of new science in the last year around cannabis!). I will post a link in this thread as soon as the new course links are out in case any of you are interest in taking it again or for the first time.

5 Likes

Well, this year you’ll get a lot more than $50 :slight_smile:

I assume we can write it off as an R&D expense. Will confirm with the CFO.

5 Likes

Just donated 20, I havent used the program lately but a long time ago I did. Happy to have you here

6 Likes

A customer just had one of their best flower cycles yet for yield with LED, CO2 and following VPD using Hydrobuddy.

Transition and first 4 weeks of flower, the K:Ca:Mg was 4:2:1. The calcium content was higher than total nitrates. Iron was 1.5 with micro complex (Plant Prod, I believe), but both are provided additionally in our marine-sourced fulvic acid deposit. It is roughly Howard Resh’s first cluster tomato recipe. They got 59g/sq. ft. or 1.4 grams per watt. It’s a shame they don’t allow phones/pictures, but they are a clean suit facility.

EDIT: The brix was 10-11, right around the point that the plant naturally resists bugs and mold. Their run was SMOOOOTH sailing.

4 Likes

I’m trying to donate $100 now, but Paypal doesn’t like my company card (it keeps rejecting me because it wants a human name). Is there a seperate donation page for Paypal that will let me donate with the company name? If not, I assume I can get a prepaid card using my company card and donate that way.

Get him on here! He can even take the username @badbruce lol

If he doesn’t want to join the best forum in the world :wink:, I wonder if he would be open to an interview with our resident mom and fantastic human, @Sidco_Cat, on her podcast, Chat with Sidco_Cat ? And for that matter, I think you would be an excellent interview for her as well :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So people can deploy the software themselves? Are you currently or do you plan to offer this as a service?

Side note @danielfp, which I think may interest Bruce and yourself:

I’m working with Growlink to integrate Bruce’s research-grade horizontal field of view IRR from Apogee. I designed the concept and method Growlink is implementing, and I developed a new method to calculate air and plant VPD, which I shared with Growlink two days ago. They have been in talks with Apogee’s engineers for a few weeks, and Growlink received its first IRR last week. They should have integration completed within a few weeks.

I plan to use the IRRs for real-time canopy surface temperature (CST) measurements, which Growlink will datalog, graph, and report. But, the main reason is so Growlink can use the IIR measurements to calculate what I term canopy-VPD (i.e., leaf-VPD but integrating a wide CST measurement). I will input my setpoint canopy-VPD into Growlink based on my target canopy temp (78’F or 80’F). Growlink will then increase or decrease RH using my foggers and dehumidifies to maintain my target canpoy-VPD independent of the canopy air temperature. So, canopy-VPD and canopy air temperature are the independent variables, and RH is the dependent variable.

As far as I know, this will be the first commercial implementation of RH control based on VPD when accounting for leaf/flower surface temperature using real-time research-grade IRR sensors.

Last Friday, I developed the most accurate method to calculate canopyVPD to date. I am using a new formula for saturated vapor pressure (SVP) over water published in 2018. That uses the Clausius-Clapeyron equation and is based on the seminal SVP formula proposed by Magnus in 1844. The mean relative error (MRE) is only 0.0005% from 0’C-40’C. While the current method to calculate air and canopy VPD used in horticulture (based on Tetens’s equation from 1930) has an MRE of 0.03% from 0’-40’C. In most cases, the measurement error of humidistats and thermoresistors would be greater than the VPD MRE.

Growlink is doing this for me because we’re buying a system from them with 14 H.E. Anderson injectors, a ton of batch tanks, etc. Plus, they want to push the envelope and become the most advanced irrigation and environmental control solution available.

I am writing two different threads here about these topics. First, about my new method to calculate air-VPD and canopy-VPD, including the complete method, and then about my work with Growlink and how I plan to control canpoy-VPD. I should have them posted within a few days.

9 Likes

Yup, HydroBuddy is free and open source. Daniel shares binaries for a few different platforms, and I think he also has an Andoird build. If you’re on Windows, all you do is download the zip file, decompress it, and click on the .exe file :slight_smile:

Is that question directed to me, or @danielfp or @AgTonik ?

4 Likes

@anon56994712 Thanks a lot for your donation :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I also accept donations through bitcoin if you want to do those anonymously. you can deposit to the following address: 3LcPPdqrh489SaUDkEwsodqrcVFHdiriDs

4 Likes

I did a podcast with MrGrowit which came out yesterday. In case any of you are interested:

7 Likes

Nice! Thank you for posting this! And also, here’s the paper you coauthored :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great interview! @Sidco_cat, I bet @danielfp would be a great interviewee for your podcast.

2 Likes

I thought you guys might find this interesting

6 Likes

Nice blog post as usual @danielfp! Thanks for sharing it here.

However, I wonder if an extra zero or two was added to this sentence by mistake. I tried to find the calculation for these figures, but I didn’t see it listed. Please ignore if I’m off base:

Even a medium scale growing facility working with boutique fertilizers can often spend 2000-4000 USD per day, even using some of the more cost effective solutions available in the boutique market.

Since I have no cannabis centric content, I was thinking about starting a paid-access monthly newsletter discussing cannabis cultivation from an evidence based perspective. This would include discussions and reviews of scientific literature and an evidence based approach to a wide variety of topics surrounding cultivation.

I would do an in-depth discussion of one topic per month, likely something in the 5-10 page range. The idea being to always end with practical recommendations relevant to growers based on the evidence available.

To support the effort I would offer it through a monthly subscription model. Starting at 5 USD/month for the first 10 people, then 10 USD/month for the first hundred and then likely 25-50 USD/month from then-on.

I am trying to gauge interest before fully committing to it, so if this is something you would be likely to subscribe to, please like this post.

15 Likes

I would definitely be in for this.

4 Likes

I’ll subscribe right now lol!

2 Likes

I’m interested