NYC hemp auction on the 12/07/19

First post, hello, I am an aspiring hemp farmer from upstate NY. (my 60 acre outdoor/12,000sqft indoor permit for the family farm with its own water sources comes next month if all goes to plan)

I’m not sure how many of you are aware but there is a hemp action at a hotel in queens next to LaGuardia on the 7th. I will be attending to observe and report back to this forum in this thread. I plan on taking tons of photos and videos and just generally being as respectfully nosy as I can be in order to sponge up as much information on the live hemp marketplace as possible.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ca-exchange-nyc-tickets-82612655677

I could have told you the auction in Tn was going to be a disaster before it even went down. Overproduction is obviously the 800 pound gorilla affecting price, but they did very little advertisement, very poorly executed. Obviously on a shoe string budget. I imagine in 2019 most hemp lots are sold on kush.com… hemp is a highly variable commodity at this stage which requires inspection before purchase but it’s easy to post COAs in your kush.com listing and legal to ship samples to anyone interested. You don’t need to sell your hemp in an IRL auction setting, why would a buyer waste a trip when they can shop the best of the best from the comfort of their couch? That’s the way almost ALL products are sold in 2019, not just hemp. I imagine this creates a phenomenon where the only people going to hemp auctions are people who have product they couldn’t move in other venues for whatever reason (not internet savvy, not good at sales in general, low grade product nobody wants). Buyers at these auction aren’t looking to pay top dollar they could do that online easily they go to these auctions to low ball and bottom feed, THATS WHAT ALL AUCTIONS ARE FOR ASIDE FROM LUXURY AUCTIONS. Think about it, you go to an auto or estate auction to pick stuff up for less than what it’s worth, not fair market value. I feel like the NYC auction could be a lot better or it could be just as much of a let down, we’ll see.

But you know what… I see the price bouncing back a little in the future:) Price dropped end of second quarter because some credit card companies stopped processing hemp orders and the FDA put the kibosh on CBD in food… FOR THE TIME BEING.

Let me ask you this extremely important question: What do you think is going to happen to the price of hemp when the credit card companies see the light and the FDA approves CBD in food and most importantly beverages next year or the year after? NY is basically just waiting on the FDA to start making alchoholic CBD beverages on a massive scale. Keep in mind hemp has been federally legal for less than a year and the CBD food and beverage industry is in its infancy. I’m not saying it’s going to be hemp gold rush 2.0 like 2017 but I would be shocked if prices didn’t bounce back a little when the FDA approves CBD in food and the CC companies lighten up. Of course it will go back down after that but there will be a jump when it happens.

But… I’m hoping by then NY will have legalized adult use and I will have seamlessly converted my hemp permit to an adult use permit (they are already showing signs they will allow hemp farms to convert, they already let hemp farms sell to our otherwise vertically integrated medical dispensaries). I hope by then I’ll be making a fortune selling heirloom midzotics within the closed NY state adult use market (from my assumed lack of federal legalization at that point). The NYC cannabis market is the holy grail. 30 million people in the metro area not to mention the weed tourism from Europe that will explode. NYC has the highest per capita rate of cannabis users in the world. And every last one of them will have to buy weed grown on NY farms until federal legalization:) Those who set up early and go big in the NYC rec market will make insane fortunes. Best cannabis market in the word with no competition from outside the state:) Right now there are only 500 permitted hemp farms in NY. Hemp might be nose diving into being just another ag crop but the cannabis play in NY is get your hemp farm dialed and all your finances in order over the next year or two, make those industry connection (hopefully I’ll see you all in Hawaii) and knock that motherfucker out of the park when legalization hits.

2 Likes

This will be interesting. Hopefully it is not a repeat of TN auction. Anyone else attending?

That is another reason I posted, if any one wants to link up or needs a ride let me know. I’m not sure where I could give you a ride from though because I live in the middle of Brooklyn, it should only be a 25 minute drive from my apartment.

1 Like

welcome @NY_skyfarmer! Thanks for contributing, enjoy!

Headed out. Doors at 8am. Bidding at 10. supposedly they will be selling lots as small as 1 lb so this should be really interesting.

3 Likes

Let us know how it goes I’m very interested after seeing Tennessee’s fiasco with a market

Bidding just started. You can follow and bid if you’d like:

https://live.proxibid.com/BidderWeb/main.do?auctionId=171369&wo=false#|171369|show-me-catalog-item|

It’s not looking like there are any in person bidders. It’s mostly people representing the companies trying to sell lots. Nobody bought any 10,000 lb lots of biomass. Only two lots of 100 suver haze prerolls sold for $100 each. An online bidder took 5 lots of 5 pounds of trimmed suver haze flower located in Oregon for $750 each. There were no other bidders than those three, nothing else sold. They stopped the auction just now, I’m going to go get food and maybe come back.

2 Likes

So, bout like the TN one? Cheap prices and no one buying anything…

2 Likes

Why does nothing have an image posted? Seems like the sellers aren’t trying hard enough if they dont have an image of the product

2 Likes

Right. Like I’d buy 5 lbs of trimmed smokable hemp for the $750 opening bid…but if you can’t even put up a picture…i definitely can’t pay $750.

3 Likes

I hope the people who organized it read this and know that it was greatly appreciated. Someone has to build this market. It doesn’t matter if it wasn’t a “success” this year or in this incarnation, as soon as adult use is legalized in New York these type of venues will have tremendous value I think.
I’m just viewing all of this as the moment of conception for adult use markets. It’s coming my friends, we have to be patient and also shame our prosecutor governor into doing the right thing as far as limits of retail outlets and limits on local taxes but I see it all going in the right direction. The future of cannabis growing and extracting is wide open in nys.

1 Like

What leads you to believe the fda will ease up on cbd in food/beverages?

1 Like

Ayyy, depressing

Exactly. FDA guidance on Nov 25 2019 stated CBD as food additive was “illegal”. Also, identifying CDB as supplement is “illegal” and identifying CBD as GRAS (generally accepted as safe), also “illegal”.

regulations. know them.

Because the only reason they can’t say cbd and hemp extracts are gras is because of a lack of research, the fda explicitly stated that as the reason. They are studying it right now. Hemp became federally legal less than a year ago so research up until now was limited.

Cbd beverages apparently are a hit seller in Canada.

1 Like

Only for interstate commerce, right?