Not pulling all the goods with CLS.....

Two 3/8” screens is gonna be about as close as it gets…imo it sounds like a great idea. Not certain it’s gonna feed well though.

2 Likes

Itll be frozen over dry ice and should be brittle as fuck. It’ll break it up…or it wont. I think itll get it to be fine, and itll be a tool I can literally use in the freezer. The machine can be cold…so I’m really not worried about it. If plant material is to be broken into smaller pieces, cells have to be damaged. It’s my understanding that you don’t want to over do it. This will let anything 3/8 through, but having the top sheet reciprocate with a gap to the next perforated sheet should hopefully allow for some shearing action, and with how brittle nugs can get, I think itll work. I’ve been wrong though. But I wont know until i try right. And I’ve got about $60 into it.

Fortunately, it doesnt have to work really well. It has to work better than me cutting up pounds with scissors while I watch TV. Remember…I’m not a pro, I have no bottom line, and I’m bored at work and hate my job…so I’m building a machine to see if it works. I think the key will be the frozen biomass.

Plus…if feeding is the issue…I’ve got an idea for some baffling that would help the shearing action of brittle nugs.

4 Likes

Why not go this route?

Old school… “your gonna like my nuts”
Lol

2 Likes

If it comes with cocaine and hookers I’m in…

3 Likes

That’s right, he got beat up by one. I forgot about that.

2 Likes

#neverforget

1 Like

you will probably want to get the rpm’s down to a minimum, how long is the stroke on the saw?

1 Like

The rate of reciprocation is variable by dial and trigger, and it goes stupid slow. The stroke is about an inch. I have yet to disassemble the saw to see if I can manufacture a few new parts to make the stroke variable. I’m hoping to invest as minimal effort as possible…says the guy machining teflon guide rails on a knee mill from 1954.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with those old clapped out bridgeports, made maney-a-parts on them. You got a power feed at least?

3 Likes

It’s a Kearney & Trecker horizontal with a vertical head. There is so much slop in it…when you power feed in Y, and change directions, the table racks a good .100". I’m on the machine that none of my apprentices want to run. Gotta show them a good machinist can make a good part on a clapped out machine…

1 Like

Its all about getting the backlash out of the lead screw. check out this cool art.

7 Likes

Nice! I’ve got a true vertical Kearney & Trecker mill next to the horizontal much like the one in the art work.

The ways and gibs are so worn the racking isn’t a backlash issue. Now taking a climb cut on these old fuckers and that backlash will come right out lol maybe your part too lol

1 Like

oh yeah… always conventional!

1 Like

I have no tattoos. I’ve never seen anything, ever, that I thought would be worth getting inked permanently on my body. I love that drawing and immediately thought I could get that on me somewhere. The art form looks old too…like proper for that era of machine.

Where did you find that gem?

1 Like

The artist is an immigrant named Boris Artzybasheff, he immigrated in 1919.

the collection of machine tools and factory tools is called Machinalia.

6 Likes

Are you having issues dumping all solvent from the columns? To the collection chamber ? I ised to run a terrp and found bottom feed flooding seemed to pull a bit more oil than top feed , if you are having any issues with dumping your columns may be too cold compared to the collection stalling oil and solvent (sticking to cold material ) great temps to run I’ve pulled 94% thc wax but it took forever to recover

1 Like

I’m not sure I follow. Trouble dumping columns? Like having the solvent stalled in the column and the’ol thermodynamics says you ain’t moving shit?

I’m pushing with nitro, with my column ball valve closed, and allow the colum to fill and marinate for a few. Then I dump into the collection pot, and repeat a second fill and dump…or throttle the valve to slow the solvents travel through the column. I’ve not encountered a problem getting solvent to move.

I will say…I definitely have thermodynamics working against me with trying to get -70 butane to move into a vessel that is room temp. But the nitro seems to work well, and I do seem to recover the butane from my column. Once I am into recovery I warm the column to try and get the rest of the butane.

Dude…his art work speaks to me. I literally run these machines to this day that he has drawn and animated. How cool. Thank you for sharing that with me.

2 Likes

Id personally push it with some room temp propane , makes life easy

1 Like

But if I wanted to keep running n butane, introducing propane would eventually give me a notable ratio of propane. Is propane still a gas at dry ice/acetone temps?