Not pulling all the goods with CLS.....

What it will allow me to do is pull the column off to load the next round, while recovering out of the collection pot. I don’t like pulling a column off the base when it’s full of solvent. I’ve dont it, but I’d prefer not to. The rack would also allow for proper placement of the mol sieve.

My life runs lean…I dont have free time. So if I can build a rack that saves time every time I extract…I’m time ahead. Time is the only real currency…spend it wisely.

7 Likes

Until recently blasting fat nugs wasnt a thing for me…it had always been trim.

Stainless mesh, was it like an expanded metal so there were sharp edges? Mcmastercarr here I come…

1 Like

Make sure your nugs sit on dry ice for an hour before you try to break them down with the screen.

2 Likes

Fuck that would make it easy. Thank you guys. I never would have thought of that.

1 Like

I inject 50lbs at a time on my 10lb runs, your saying he should be injecting 6lbs of solvent slowly over 30 minutes? At that rate it would take me 4 hours just to inject, way longer than what it takes me to complete a whole run.

Was just making sure he’s getting everything not battling ice

1 Like

So I’m going to get a non flattened piece of stainless expanded metal for shredding of dry ice frozen nugs. I think this is the first step to take in solving this issue.

What would be the proper method, or one you’ve had success with, for cooling biomass with dry ice prior to a hydrocarbon extraction? As simple as a cooler with bagged biomass and a bed of dry ice?

1 Like

That’s it cooler dry ice bag material, cover w di walk away… About hr or so. I freeze dry or not

1 Like

do you need to vac seal your material before putting on dry ice? or any concern about condensation once you take it out of the cooler?

2 Likes

I don’t have to w dry ice…u bury that shit in dry ice in bag I think rapid freezing will win over moisture.

But to be on safe side could help, just don’t squeeze the life out of it , you’ll be left with frozen solid chunk that won’t hardly bust w hammer

I was wondering the same thing. My cleanliness training, per my trade, makes me want a barrier between the nugs and the dry ice, and I’d like to remove any atmosphere with moisture. But sometimes practicality wins over…

My thought…I’m building a nug shredder, and I need my nugs frozen for shredding. So bags, flatter than round, and in a cooler of dry ice. Once shredded then I’ll go back in to a bag and on dry ice to cool prior to extracting…

Question about curing nugs for extraction…I usually dry at about 60f and about 55RH. That is for smoke, and it takes 10 days. If I’m going for extraction, would there be a downside to going all out with the dehumidifier to dry as fast as possible to a lower moisture content?

Which is right on target imo. Industrial Dry ice is not held to any cleanliness standards that I’m aware off.

2 Likes

So I reran that material. 19.5 more grams of quality oil. Got to the return I had expected collectively. Running high end indoor flower…by weight, not actual thca content, i pulled 23%. I’d be pleased if i got that in one run…not two.

I have just found a lab I’m comfy with…so I’ll finally have that quantitative key moving forward. Pretty exciting really…I have some acdc I need tested thoroughly.

I’ve got a fresh harvest drying now…hobby shit…so soon I’ll be dry icing and shredding the nugs first before running in hopes that the finer grind of biomass will help efficiency.

Hey is there anyone else that has yield percentages like this? Im currenly worried about the same issue and my better yields are 10%… 1000g dry material in a de-wax column is only producing 100g on avg. How can I improve? It would be nice if someone made a spreadsheet with solvent ratios, material ratios, yield expectations, etc. I hope Im not loosing money!!

1 Like

I always break up good flower like I would be rolling a joint. If I’m doing runs for a friend I tell them they gotta break it up before they bring it over. It has got to be super dry. Typically I break it up and then let it sit for a day or so in a dehumidified room. I am small-scale as well so I don’t have to run continuously so I can do stuff like that.

I do alcohol so I do two washes, I feel like the second wash takes some of the solvent that gets left in the biomass as well as getting you more of what is left behind. I think regardless of what you pull on a frozen first run (unless you are making RSO or something), you will get some more with a second pass, regardless of solvent choice. The second run can be slightly warmer or longer if you want to get that last bit out and then that can be run SPD or go to gelcaps or if you like them FULL spectrum dabs go right ahead :slight_smile:

How much solvent did you use?

When you remove your material, look at the trichromes under a microscope. It will tell you a lot. If your running trim, 10% ain’t bad depending on material. This was indoor flower I ran. If your running indoor flower, and getting 100g yield per kilo of material…you need to evaluate your process.

Function>form any day

1 Like

So I may or may not be building a nug shredder. Two sheets of 304 12x8 3/8 perforated metal 16g, separated by .062 inches. Held in place by teflon rails, all stainless rides on a teflon bearing surface. A cheap jig saw with a blade welded to the upper sheet of perforated metal will be reciprocating the upper sheet. I’m machining the second teflon rail tomorrow. Hopefully itll work and I’ll have a redneck nug shredder with variable speed via ryobi lol

2 Likes

U don’t wanna tear the plant cells really but I’m not exactly sure on this

Freeze then push through 1/4 screen…I’ve heard this works good

2 Likes