Not pulling all the goods with CLS.....

Which is right on target imo. Industrial Dry ice is not held to any cleanliness standards that I’m aware off.

2 Likes

So I reran that material. 19.5 more grams of quality oil. Got to the return I had expected collectively. Running high end indoor flower…by weight, not actual thca content, i pulled 23%. I’d be pleased if i got that in one run…not two.

I have just found a lab I’m comfy with…so I’ll finally have that quantitative key moving forward. Pretty exciting really…I have some acdc I need tested thoroughly.

I’ve got a fresh harvest drying now…hobby shit…so soon I’ll be dry icing and shredding the nugs first before running in hopes that the finer grind of biomass will help efficiency.

Hey is there anyone else that has yield percentages like this? Im currenly worried about the same issue and my better yields are 10%… 1000g dry material in a de-wax column is only producing 100g on avg. How can I improve? It would be nice if someone made a spreadsheet with solvent ratios, material ratios, yield expectations, etc. I hope Im not loosing money!!

1 Like

I always break up good flower like I would be rolling a joint. If I’m doing runs for a friend I tell them they gotta break it up before they bring it over. It has got to be super dry. Typically I break it up and then let it sit for a day or so in a dehumidified room. I am small-scale as well so I don’t have to run continuously so I can do stuff like that.

I do alcohol so I do two washes, I feel like the second wash takes some of the solvent that gets left in the biomass as well as getting you more of what is left behind. I think regardless of what you pull on a frozen first run (unless you are making RSO or something), you will get some more with a second pass, regardless of solvent choice. The second run can be slightly warmer or longer if you want to get that last bit out and then that can be run SPD or go to gelcaps or if you like them FULL spectrum dabs go right ahead :slight_smile:

How much solvent did you use?

When you remove your material, look at the trichromes under a microscope. It will tell you a lot. If your running trim, 10% ain’t bad depending on material. This was indoor flower I ran. If your running indoor flower, and getting 100g yield per kilo of material…you need to evaluate your process.

Function>form any day

1 Like

So I may or may not be building a nug shredder. Two sheets of 304 12x8 3/8 perforated metal 16g, separated by .062 inches. Held in place by teflon rails, all stainless rides on a teflon bearing surface. A cheap jig saw with a blade welded to the upper sheet of perforated metal will be reciprocating the upper sheet. I’m machining the second teflon rail tomorrow. Hopefully itll work and I’ll have a redneck nug shredder with variable speed via ryobi lol

2 Likes

U don’t wanna tear the plant cells really but I’m not exactly sure on this

Freeze then push through 1/4 screen…I’ve heard this works good

2 Likes

Two 3/8” screens is gonna be about as close as it gets…imo it sounds like a great idea. Not certain it’s gonna feed well though.

2 Likes

Itll be frozen over dry ice and should be brittle as fuck. It’ll break it up…or it wont. I think itll get it to be fine, and itll be a tool I can literally use in the freezer. The machine can be cold…so I’m really not worried about it. If plant material is to be broken into smaller pieces, cells have to be damaged. It’s my understanding that you don’t want to over do it. This will let anything 3/8 through, but having the top sheet reciprocate with a gap to the next perforated sheet should hopefully allow for some shearing action, and with how brittle nugs can get, I think itll work. I’ve been wrong though. But I wont know until i try right. And I’ve got about $60 into it.

Fortunately, it doesnt have to work really well. It has to work better than me cutting up pounds with scissors while I watch TV. Remember…I’m not a pro, I have no bottom line, and I’m bored at work and hate my job…so I’m building a machine to see if it works. I think the key will be the frozen biomass.

Plus…if feeding is the issue…I’ve got an idea for some baffling that would help the shearing action of brittle nugs.

4 Likes

Why not go this route?

Old school… “your gonna like my nuts”
Lol

2 Likes

If it comes with cocaine and hookers I’m in…

3 Likes

That’s right, he got beat up by one. I forgot about that.

2 Likes

#neverforget

1 Like

you will probably want to get the rpm’s down to a minimum, how long is the stroke on the saw?

1 Like

The rate of reciprocation is variable by dial and trigger, and it goes stupid slow. The stroke is about an inch. I have yet to disassemble the saw to see if I can manufacture a few new parts to make the stroke variable. I’m hoping to invest as minimal effort as possible…says the guy machining teflon guide rails on a knee mill from 1954.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with those old clapped out bridgeports, made maney-a-parts on them. You got a power feed at least?

3 Likes

It’s a Kearney & Trecker horizontal with a vertical head. There is so much slop in it…when you power feed in Y, and change directions, the table racks a good .100". I’m on the machine that none of my apprentices want to run. Gotta show them a good machinist can make a good part on a clapped out machine…

1 Like

Its all about getting the backlash out of the lead screw. check out this cool art.

7 Likes