*noob question* vacuum pull

“use New Zealand grass: 70 million sheep can’t be wrong!”

least that was where they were when I left on walkabout 40 years ago… :shushing_face:

might should circle back at some point…

8 Likes

Dabs from the shire

4 Likes

are you pumping gas or liquid wih your pump? draw a system diagram for us.

3 Likes

On the condensing side of the pump, you should have a valve for vacuum. Final answer, Regis.

Vapors should go from the bottom of the mol sieve out the top. Possibly jacket this with warm water flow like you have going to the evaporator

You’re work is very impressive all around.

Last one for now, those little blue valves will probably fail you quite quickly. That’s if they are the ones I believe they are.

4 Likes

Cheers for your awesome reply mate, if you mean the RJT fittings that vessel is where my condensing coil is as I want to enclose it with a dry ice inside to keep it nice & cool. My recovery tank is this little sucker sitting on the ground. ![image|375x500](upload://lE

vbp84s2D65UeC0Jd6t105qA0C.jpeg)

Haha bubbles always ready bro, I think the weeds alright but I’ll smoke maybe 5 times a year, I’m a extreme lightweight.

1 Like

Also, pressure release valves on each and all sealed chambers.

Is that plastic thingy in the corner of the framing the diaphragm pump you’re referring to?

1 Like

Damn so my molecular siev is around the wrong way? I’ve literally just gone of what I have seen on other peoples rigs ~ vapour from the top of my collection/evap.

Could you also give us a napkin drawing of the flow design? I think some things are going where they shouldn’t

2 Likes

The valves are a great value, but they aren’t very good for anything other than water. Especially with the nice compression fittings you have, if you are capable of such, get compatible ones.

Yeah that is my diaphragm pump, I’ve worked with them in chemical/petroleum bunds & work very well with that & I had it left over from another job so I thought I’d give it a shot, yes I have my PRVs in place but need to pipe to some explosion like tank instead of venting to atmosphere? Also before anyone asks i have the quick release tri clamps purely for fabrication purposes as I’m forever taking them on & off

1 Like

using a diaphragm pump like that for vapor recovery is less than ideal.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Excuse the mess currently working out of the attached garage while my workshop is being built :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’d look into a different recovery pump, also a refrigerate scale /if not possible sight glass for the tanks if u can dab one in … so u can accurately know how much solvent during recovery etc, but that diaphragm pump less than idea….either try a haskel or a vapor max or run that bish passive
Also might wanna try nitrogen assist to that . Through a couple ports on the top of the columns to help push solvent if u r running cold

1 Like

Thanks bro yeah I might just run it passive… i would be able to pipe the bottom of my sieve directly to my condenser then? I have a digital scale on my manifold that my Flexi runs off but I was thinking about chucking a 1” sight glass on it too. With nitrogen assist will that be just head pressure of the tank & is that as a vapour or liquid? Thanks

1 Like

nitrogen is to push the cold hydrocarbons that have no pressure at low temps. it can stall and nothing is moving if the temps arent right. they are suggesting you pay to play but i learned off the internet- i think graywolf has free info. you can do tons of research and basically build your own but do it better. I did that with all swagelok valves etc…

1 Like

not sure why folks are hating on the diaphragm pump. seems like a reasonable approach to me. if it was an MVP they’d say it was overkill.

did you check with OEM for your use case?

plumbing them to an evacuated solvent tank would be ideal, although it is not something many folks bother with. you shouldn’t be playing up in their range, there ought be great ventilation in your workspace, and there shouldn’t be any sources of ignition, so popping a prv shouldn’t be terribly problematic (except for “why did this happen?”).

5 Likes

I may be sloppy but its not really closed. I end up with columns of gas that i evacuate outdoors. Ive ran hot water through a jacketed column forever and its still got flammable gas in it. I can see it shimmering.