No sugar coating.... Is Boutique Extraction Feasible?

Hi Guys

Im hoping some people with real experience can chime in. Im very close to purchasing 20L Supercritical Co2 machinery in the Socal area. Is this business dead? I keep reading conflicting opinions. This is something im very passionate about, but obviously if im spending this much money im looking to work hard and build a very profitable business. Is this to small to succeed ? Is the extraction business oversaturated?

Thanks for reading and replying.

Why co2?

2 Likes

I’ve never had a co2 extract that I even mildly enjoyed. especially when you factor in the ridiculous equipment costs.

11 Likes

Thanks for the reply, honestly it seems simpler to run to a novice like myself , plus I see the type 7 license being almost impossible to get in Los Angels.

I don’t disagree!

I’m in So Cal, theres some folks in my town with a very small co2 extractor. Toured their facility they have a very small lab with small equipment. Spent quite a lot of money to try and get up and running. Not sure if it is even running yet. Very few people from the industry setting it up. It dumbfounded me how small the equipment was, We have multiple 50+ acre grows close by. somethings gotta give.

Unless you are bringing something unique to the table the rec shop owners and Distro companies are just seeing 1s and 0s IMO

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply , I’m also in SoCal. Not what I want to hear… lol… I appreciate the input.

I think if you’re going for boutique/craft products. and you want low overhead/licensing costs, you should look into high quality solventless extracts like live rosin. personally I swear by hydrocarbons. regardless your biggest factor in my opinion is will you be able to source extremely high quality flower/desirable strains. after that your marketing is going to have to be on point.

11 Likes

I would just wait til you can do hydrocarbons. Personally, I think co2 is bleh. But that’s just my opinion.

In the mean time, do some research and build a BM hydrocarbon system for r&d.

6 Likes

Shoot for type 7 c1d1, hydro carbon is where it’s @ sky’s the limit.

1 Like

Biz ain’t dead.

Supersaturation has created road blocks. Artisian extracts will always be a thing.

Now if you do what everyone else is doing that’s on you.

If they go zig, go zag.

8 Likes

SFT? Get the 3x5

Can you cover overhead and sell your product at no more than 30% of the out the door price a dispensary is charging, while turning a profit? In my experience it is pretty difficult to be competitive while doing boutique volume.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

You guys have definitely given me a brand new perspective… Thank you

1 Like

You prefer Co2 over hydrocarbon?

Yup. More end product possibilities

What are your thoughts on succeeding with a smaller system and an oversaturation of the market? Opposing opinions say hydrocarbon produces a better product and its definitely better priced equipment.

Imo co2 is best suited for places too new to have solventtype regulations, so co2 usually gets the okay the quickest. Other than that, ive never had a co2 product that wowed me.
Two extracts that have wowed me are hydrocarbon and solventless extracts.
I would start with solventless since licensing is easy. Then apply for your hydrocarbon right away and get that ball rolling. Use the solventless production time to find reliable clients and most importantly a solid source of :fire::fire: material

3 Likes

Awesome advice👂