No moisture in solvent, but moisture in final product!?

Ok so we had some moisture in solvent. Distilled all solvent 3 times over fresh beads.
No visible moisture in solvent tank and I’m pretty confident it’s gone…

Humidity outside is 78% trim is in shed that isn’t air tight. There is a dehumidifier but probably not bringing shed below 30% (probably higher)

Now… did a run last night. Yeild was crappy and there were tiny little ice balls in bottom of honeypot! After cold extract got poured off.

So, can moist trim really cause this low yeild as well as Ice and moisture in collection?

Or

Is it possible there is still non visible moisture in solvent? And this contaminated solvent is in fact causing it?

Thanks for any help. I’m dyin here

Was the trim actually moist? Like if you squeezed it would moisture come out?

No. Not at all.

Just blown away at how there is visible ice in the honeypot and when I poured a little onto a paper I noticed little chunks. Before they melted into water. Very tiny but still there.

Not a spec of visible moisture in solvent tank.

How do u clean the system? What system do u run? Dewaxing? Crc? Chillers? Pics of ur material?

1 Like

78% humidity… condensation?

6 Likes

I even use liquid nitrogen at first step, and dry ice in refining step. :wink:

Here is an old experiment:

Besides dry runs with warm gas usually etoh to clean system.
No dewax. Just inline crc.
Running relatively warm

Just have a chiller hooked up to the solvent tank running at -20

So I’m guessing your answer is yes haha get it as dry as possible

How do you know it’s ice? I’ve seen Things I thought were ice when I used to open blast. I’m starting to think they were THCa crystals…

4 Likes

I suppose I don’t know for sure.
I guess part of why I assume it’s liquid is bcuz in my glove it reduces to water or something similar.

In addition, this extract was very strange. Where as previous runs were not.
Extract is very jelly like and seems to coagulate and make very strange small bubbles. Vs actually muffin and bubbling.

Lastly, extract looks thick then after 12 hours in oven reduces far more than anything else

1 Like

Inline crc what powders? Do you bake them? I usually pull 10% moisture weight out of powders with an overnight baking.

Not baking them.
We have before.
Sometimes we don’t have the time when trying to process large amounts.
That being said. We have had great results in regards to not baking and keeping powders in air tight container or directly next to a dehumidifier.
Powders stay at 16% humidity

This could be a problem…
Mainly never saw crazy yeild drops with non baked powders. Always just saw less affective color remediation.

Have u seen yeild loss with unbaked powders?

Definitely have gotten higher yields and better color with baked powder. Using forced air AI oven at 240F can fit several kgs in there and run it overnight when sleeping. Weigh in the morning always 10% decrease. Depending on the quantity of powder used you’ve got that much moisture that the solution is flowing through. I’d say it can’t hurt to bake your powders super dry!

Understood

Im sorry I intended to answer to another topic. I asked the moderators to move this teply to the right topic.

But if it can also answer one of your question…

I had been experiencing similar issues, change a couple of things and all good now …

a) I was storing my cls under vacuum between runs, when it came time to do a run I’d simple open a valve up and release the vacuum. Turns out this was causing condensation on the inside due to differences in air temps.

b) Same problem, but with the vacuum oven. first time i’d flip i’d end up with bits of water, turns out I’m releasing the vacuum to quickly with the air outside the oven too cold, causing condesation.

2 Likes

I feel there would have to be quite a bit of water. Back in the day before I knew better I would pack my tubes and throw them in a normal freezer wet and dry material for two days. There would obviously be all sorts of condensation but it never seemed to be a problem. A small amount wont do much and it sounds like you are drying the material enough and your solvent.
Does the starting material have pesticides? Lots of heavy metals?
How are you filtering with your CRC? Are you using silica 60? Silica 60 can cause crystallization, but under vacuum mostly not so much at the bottom of the pot. Is there peralite in the trim? I dunno man sounds frustrating

1 Like

having the same issue. i clean the solvent and also use beads but im still finding water when i pour off. im using 70/30 and f/f material. i dont do a long soak either. 5 minutes max. usuallly just the time it takes for me to push it to the collection pot. TIA having a big headache with this. oh it seems to happen on bigger runs.like its enough you can see a layer of water.
i think its from the material but how can i stop it from hjappening

1 Like