No doubt another Hemp bust

Future took the words right out of my mouth.

How long did it take for kratom, synthetic cannabinoids to be banned?

1 Like

I wonder if Pharma isn’t happy to sit back and let the market invent itself. Growers, extractors, dispensaries and consumers invest and create the market… the consumer self-educates and creates the demand.
Then, when demand is high enough, Pharma steps in to seize control and sell only their FDA approved products after a period of limited supply.
They gain control of the entire market and have spent 0 dollars on marketing.
It’s kind of evil genius, but a poor prognostic factor for survival of those currently in the industry.

2 Likes

Yeah I really just don’t know about that. There is huge enthusiasm among farming states for what in effect has been a big stimulus program for farmers who switched to hemp. Starting something like that and then yanking it away is very politically destructive and i don’t see politicians wanting to touch that with a ten foot pole. Furthermore the amount of revenue CBD will generate from being sold as a supplement is far more than epidiolex will ever make. The amount of people who will actually get prescriptions for that pharmaceutical is small. I think there will be a lot of political pressure from ag lobbying to get this classified as a nutritional supplement and i think that’s what will ultimately happen. That would be a loss for epidiolex but there is way more money to be made from this industry than just a prescription medication.

Remember Mitch McConnell lead the charge on the farm bill and people love him in Kentucky for it. And he and other (conservative!) politicians in the know have invested significant amounts in CBD ag. If he suddenly banned the main sales outlets of hemp he would be not only hurting his own investments but farmers would be livid. It would not be a good look for politicians highly dependent on the farm lobby.

2 Likes

Also another reason why I don’t think this will happen is because the state cannabis systems have been operating in complete defiance of the FDA for years now. Unless somehow the government gets the political will it never had before to shut down the state cannabis markets, people will still be able to sell CBD supplements at least within their own states; and that will make it obvious to any state the FDA scared away from CBD how much money they are missing out on for no reason.

3 Likes

The states don’t have to comply until October 2020, right? Or am I misinformed on that?

States with hemp programs under the 2014 Farm Bill don’t have to.

They don’t have to but most if not all will submit new regs in accordance with USDA for 2020 season. Colorado is submitting theirs before the comment period is even over, if that tells you anything.

1 Like

Since when is kratom banned?

It’s not. They were going too but after consumer and business comments , they reversed it. Hopefully, Cbd and isomers follow the same route.

Epidiolex existing hampers that hope a bit though with the FDAs current stance

It only takes 30 days to add or change a substances schedule so it can happen fast

We are not going to, as of last week. Tennessee.

I hope you’re right. Just seems the IFR is trying to eviscerate the flower market, and with the FDC act effectively stating adding CBD (Class V drug) to food is a violation that leads to C/D letters… I just wonder where it’s going. I’m a grower, so I hope you’re right!

1 Like