Nitrogen assist help

Just add a T to you solvent inject line and use that, or just charge your tank with nitro before you inject

1 Like

With no PRV or gauges on a solvent tank, is it safe to open the regulator all the way? Reg set at 50psi, line open to coil/column. Iā€™ve been throttling the nitro and itā€™s working just not as fast as I want, think I need to open it up on the tank

without gauges or PRVā€™s itā€™s definitely not safe. You will have no clue on the pressure inside the tank and if it gets too high your vessel will be compromised. If youā€™re running at dry ice temps this wonā€™t be building any pressure, but if you have a cold tank that is full and pressurized with N2, then it warms, it can cause great damage and potentially explode.

It can be done without the gauge and PRVā€™s but youā€™re flirting with danger. If something goes wrong thereā€™s no turning back.

I may not have read that correctly, but are you suggesting to run the N2 tank directly to your vessel? I hope not, as the tank is over 2000 psi and will destroy your system without a regulator limiting the working pressure to the range of your system. You can raise the working pressure to any point within the limits your system is rated for if you need more pressure, but you will always need a regulator between your tank and system.

3 Likes

I know itā€™s not ideal Iā€™m going to get a gauge on it ASAP, I do have them on my columns and collection and watch em closely. Tanks are DI cold and I make sure to burp the nitro when Iā€™m done. But no I am using a regulator, just throttling it on and off w the valve as opposed to turning it full open at 50psi

ah okay. Yeah I currently donā€™t have any PRVā€™s too, itā€™s not the ideal way to go but I make it work for the time being until I get them added in. Just wanted to make sure that safety info was presented for anyone that reads this in the future and may not be aware of that.

Turning it full open is fine. Throttling it when you first open the valve is good so you donā€™t have too much turbulence in your system from the rushing pressure. Iā€™ll go from a crack to full open in about 10 seconds.

2 Likes

Right on thatā€™s the answer I was lookin for! But hell yeah you gotta include the safety tips, Iā€™m going to get some prvs myself jusy for precaution

3 Likes