Newcomer bho setup

What are the absolute necessities for bho extraction?

I would like to start of small, mostly for personal use.
The option of colour or contaminant remediation would be preferred but not required.

Been looking around for a while now and think I’ll be going with a combination of tested extractor and vacuum oven from www.qualitystainlessparts.com/

Anything else i would need?

Apart from solvent and material ofcourse.

Am located in europe if that changes anything.
Thanks for all the amazing info here, stay safe everyone!

that will get you going where you need to be. I got my first closed loop from there, quality stuff, you will be happy with it for sure!

You didn’t mention a vac pump in there at all, you’ll need one of those to vac the system down before use. Butane and oxygen are very dangerous together. You want no oxygen in your system at all.

Absolute minimum you need would be

System to extract with
Solvent
Purging oven or chamber
Vac pump
Warm water
salt and ice water OR dry ice + alcohol for cooling

2 Likes

Okay so I chose my system.
Will have to find a clean butane supplier in the Netherlands, but that’s for later.
chose my oven, that has a vacuum pump build in or would I need a second for this?

You need a vacuum pump as well, vacuum ovens do not have the vacuum pump built in.

1 Like

I’m in Berlin, Germany and would be curious how it goes for you neighbor :wink:
Keep us posted please!

Any recommended brands? could I run the loop and the oven on the same pump?

I’m not sure if you can, but you don’t really need to run the vacuum pump all the time. You can switch it between the cls and vac oven and not have any issues.

As far as brands, I go cheap for my cls. We don’t need pumps that can handle solvent, if you’re running passively, we just need one to pull ambient air out of the system.

For my use, I found a 3.5cfm dual stage pump for 80 bucks, not sure if the prices are the same over there tho.

I run my loop and oven off the same pump.
You just have to have a T fitting so you can attach a hose.

yes you certainly can. Just be weary of using it around solvent as the pumps are generally not explosion proof (unless you’re using one for that purpose but they’re pretty costly). It’s fine for residual solvent that would be present during purging. You just wouldn’t want to use it in a scenario where you will be sucking butane into the pump.

I use a 5cfm dual stage pump I got off amazon. Like @Curious_Roberto said, you don’t need to run the pump the whole time, just to achieve your desired vacuum levels, then you can close the valves and shut off the pump.

You can run a T fitting so you don’t need to disconnect anything and have it serve your system and oven, or you can simply disconnect it and reconnect it to what you’re using it for. The latter is what I do since my purging is done inside and my extractions are done outside.

4 Likes

blast out side if possible.explosion proof ventilation is a must.

2 Likes

yeah this is the most important above all, this stuff can get very dangerous in the wrong conditions.