Newbie Equipment Question

Get that system linked :point_up_2: above.
All you’d want extra is a tank and a coil which you can use for injection and recovery

1 Like

That would do all the extraction and recovery of gas correct? Then all I’d need is a vacuum pump and a freeze dryer or purger right?

My understanding is the high purity butane is pressurized and pushed into the material, then the extract goes into a collection chamber, and then the gas is recycled and put back into the original container. After than I take the extract, and I purge it with a vacuum pump or freeze drier to extract all the residual gas. Then collect it and it’s ready to use.

Is that correct information?

2 Likes

:spoon:

BHO is pretty cheap if you know where to look. Getting started is a bit of a process but if you really want to spend some money up front to make it yourself - do it right grab one of These

Grab a sous vide from Amazon, a venturi vacuum pump, two 10 gallon circular Gatorade coolers and a 10lb nitrogen bottle w/ regulator and a hose/fittings from a welding shop to connect to your tanks.
You’ll need to chain the material column to something upright (ideally a stainless rack on wheels that you can roll outside far away from everything) - don’t operate indoors.
Chain the nitrogen bottle to the rack as well.
Add nitrogen pressure to all individual parts of CLS, note the pressures. Wait 10 minutes, note pressures.
Wait 24h. Note pressures. Repeat for vacuum.
We don’t want any surprise leaks when the system is charged with butane. Pressures should be constant after 24h.

Hook an extension cord up to the sous vide, make sure the connection is as far away from your material column as possible. Duct tape the connection for good measure, we don’t want any sparks. Observe your surroundings (power lines etc).
One Gatorade cooler is for warm water + sous vide and the other is for an ethanol + dry ice slurry to maximize surface area and heat transfer to your solvent tank, to maximize solvent recovery.

Clean your system with ethanol prior to loading material or solvent.

Freeze your trim in an airtight container or whatever you want to run ASAP. Material storage is important, and you probably don’t want to store it in the same freezer as any food.

Get dry ice and denatured ethanol when you’re ready to run. No electronics, open flame, power sources, etc.

Fill your collection pot with butane. Your second vessel is a solvent tank for solvent recovery,

Connect Collection pot ( with butane) to solvent tank for recovery. Place solvent tank in dry ice / ethanol slurry.

Collection pot then gets submerged in lukewarm (72-88F, play with it and see what you like, speed etc) water. Open the connection between the two and the liquid butane in the collection pot will become a vapor and distill to your solvent tank in your slurry.
The collection vessel (below the material column) will get submerged in water w/ sous vide (72-88F or so) until all is the butane has been transferred to the new solvent tank.

Remove this empty collection tank, vent to ensure vessel is not under pressure (via butane vapor). Open vessel and clean with denatured ethanol. These are mystery oils we are distilling out.
If the collection is particularly dirty you may need to repeat this process.

You can prechill material on dry ice to help keep things colder.
Now, when you have clean butane in your very cold slurry load your frozen material.
Pull a vacuum on your loaded material column and collection pot.

Use the vacuum, then the nitrogen at about 20 PSI to push the butane from your solvent tank over your material column.
Push the butane in, fill the material column up. Doesn’t take long, just a minute or two of contact time to fill up the entire column. Keep the bottom of the material closed and add nitrogen pressure to the solvent tank in small increments until the material column fills up. When it’s full dump it into your collection. Depending on temperature you can soak longer, run more solvent over the material etc.

Turn on the sous vide and connect empty solvent (on slurry) tank. Open the valve to your solvent tank and you’ll start recovering butane. When your oleoresin/solvent in the collection pot gets to a more thick consistency (might want to “muffin” etc) open vent the tank (as to avoid surprise pressure) and carefully open the collection pot.
Gently pour the collection pot out into a Pyrex or jars depending on your post processing desires.

6 Likes

This is correct information except for one thing. No freeze dryer. We use vacuum ovens.

Or bare minimum a vacuum chamber.
Check out hardware factory store or best value vacs for those

He outlined a good way to do it above me. That way you need nitrogen and you can cancel the coil

1 Like

I have to give everyone here props. I had no idea the extent that went into this. I appreciate all the information given. Honestly I think it’s all way over my head, and it seems like an extremely delicate process to do things safely and correctly. Its entirely possible I’m not a good fit for this. However I’m extremely thankful to everyone here who’s taken the time to talk on the subject, you’ve likely saved me a fair bit of money, and possibly my health.

I’d probably feel more comfortable if I’d spent time working for a processor to learn everything here, but as a patient, I think this is too much for me to work with. Even though it yields less, I may look in Rosin production just to have something, at least I can understand how that’s done and I’d feel more comfortable with my safety.

8 Likes

It may seem like a lot. But really it’s not that bad. You already have a good base idea of what’s happening.

That’s already a step ahead of alot of ppl that come here. I wouldn’t give up without asking more questions atleast.

With that being said you know you and if you think you’re not able to do it or are too scared then don’t do it

4 Likes

That’s actually one of the most reasonable things I’ve ever seen posted here. While this stuff isn’t rocket science, you are messing with some dangerous situations and I don’t necessarily think everyone should be doing it.

Not saying you can’t learn and eventually diy, but it does take some time and it’s something that can kill you.

Whatever you decide to do, be safe and good luck!

7 Likes

Honestly, save your money buying equipment and find yourself someone that wants to work a split or buy back with you.

9 Likes

If you are even curious about rosin, check this out. Even if you just scroll for photos to get an idea of whats possible. Lot of good info though.

While previous posters are right that it is best practice to freeze dry the bubble or dry sift before pressing into rosin, it absolutely not a requirement to produce quality product. I think it is more geared toward commercially minded producers. Since this is not for a commercial venture, who cares if the color isnt the absolute lightest if the quality is good?

I have not tried this, but if you insisted on the very best and wanted to freeze dry, you could test a cheaper option:

1 Like

Find a processor near you to run your material…

4 Likes

If those were over your head, it may not be time to load your pipe bomb with butane yet.

You can dab eho.
You can extract using ethanol in a cls.

Squish is far less likely to blow up in your face.

4 Likes

Did you ever see how they were playing at the Pink House?

100lb solvent tank connected to the top of 3” x 48” columns, open blasting into 5gal buckets.

Made the glass tube I was using at the time look pretty damn tame…

5 Likes

If you are unsure but still prefer BHO then your best bet is to find someone that’s already doing it and offer them splits to run your stuff.
Playing with gas is not to be taken lightly.
Two days ago a good friend of mine that’s a professional welder was on the job site working on very large commercial holding tanks, first one he worked on everything was fine second one he worked on apparently the person who was supposed to purge and clear the tanks for work didn’t do their job correctly and this is the result (there’s a lot more to the video but I’m keeping his face out of it) let it serve as caution-

6 Likes

Id be making bubble or rosin to be on the safe side. Fresh plant live rosin is superior in every way to other extracts especially in small batches. Think about cost vs return. A nice set of bubble bags is a few hundred $ and a good press runs a couple racks .Just my 2cents

Not gunna lie. Before I had a Cls I had a 4x48 column and some can tappers. I know that tek unfortunately. Never used buckets though always trays

I wouldn’t recommend buying a set up. The system wouldn’t be complete and you would still need a water heater, crc, consumables like dry ice and butane, a vacuum oven, a vacuum pump, and biomass. At the end you’re looking at spending around 4-5k. Especially if you still have to learn everything and with the current prices of extract, it won’t be worth the time.

You’re better off finding someone already extracting and doing splits or tolling. Instead of buying a system, get a centrifuge, oven, and a base. You can then source lbs of extract around 500-700 and reformulate them into whatever is in demand at the time. Saves the time of extracting and the footprint required to set up a system

5 Likes

I think I’ll end up going solventless. I’d love to find someone to do a run for me, but for whatever reason, the processors in the state I’m in won’t help patients, even though it’s legal. I called 80 of them this week. The answers I got ranged from, “we don’t do that” to “It’ll run you $2500” most however either seemed too busy, or just uninterested. I guess it makes sense, since they’d make more money running for commercial people, but it’s kind of sad that none of them were willing to work with patients.

Rosin wise, can someone explain to me why I need a super freezer or freeze drier for Rosin? I was under the impression that putting the material into a normal freezer with dry ice was fine prior to agitating it with either water or sifting.

Yep. if you use water to obtain trichomes, you need to get them dry (ish) before you squish them

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. I hope they make a full and speedy recovery.

3 Likes

Unfortunately no it’s going to be a very long recovery. I just got a photo a few minutes ago of what’s going on today and it doesn’t look good.
Thankfully he was wearing a full fire suit otherwise he would have died. He was on top of some scaffolding when the explosion happened that blew him off of it and he broke a bunch of Bones as well.

6 Likes