Newb, growing for child, need assistance. Rotovap

this :point_up:

4 Likes

If you don’t have a panda spinner yet, get one! It will save you money on the first batch by spinning the cannabinoids and ethanol off the plant. There’s no better way to accomplish squeezing that last bit out

6 Likes

There’s also ways to “optimize” the source turbo. I don’t have any of the info on hand as the idea to use the turbo was my second idea way in the beginning, right after the soxhlet as numero uno. I’ll do some searching, but not having the access to the plethora of information in their FB group kinda sucks. 1 thing right off the bat is to use an actual vacuum pump, versus the on-board unit. Lower vacuum, lower temp to BP, faster throughput of solvent recovery. :man_shrugging:
That 1 thing right there should show immediately gratifying results over using the little thing that built into the unit. Sorry, I spent like a week considering etho extraction, and a cls is only a couple hundred more, and a roto is a couple more hundred from that. I just spent time ghosting their group as a wealth of info before latching onto here.

1 Like

Lanphan is one of the bad vendors out there. Avoid cheap import gear, shit gear can cause a fire or working with materials that aren’t chemically compatible. Lanphan is notorious for smoking, arking or burned out gear. Last thing I would want is any of that to happen with a roto

6 Likes

Thank you for all the replies. I have a lot of reading to do. I’m sure I’ll have 100 more questions.

School me: Why do I need to go though all the filtering, winterizing, and cold temps if it’s only going to get diluted into coconut oil and put into capsules. There are so many Unidentified compounds in cannabis that we would rather keep it all unless there’s a compelling reason not too.

I mean with research we humans have found out that fish fat helps your heart, among many other compounds that were once considered trash or undesirable. I’m just saying…

4 Likes

extract directly into the oil.
seriously.

in case you missed it: Stupid question... oils tinctures/lipid infusion

there is a link to the primary literature showing why this is a good idea.

(or just squish as @TheFire210 suggests )

5 Likes

How much biomass do you currently process at a time, what is its potency, and what’s your target oil potency for capsules? I would like to give this some thought tomorrow…

I work with hemp infusion mainly into MCT and have designed larger scale equipment but have been really interested in designing smaller scale equipment too

1 Like

I have so many questions. Was holding some off till I do more research but since it came up again.

@cyclopath. The paper concluded the oils were best if oral consumption was focus. But how much (ratio) should be used? Ideally as little as possible to keep it concentrated but what’s that?

I also found it interesting that they were against AC because “it also removed a large proportion of cannabinoids and terpenes”

Rosin: Once in a few moons ago we discussed making rosin since I have a nice press already. Makes it solvent less which gave my wife a boner. Also can run chips in magical butter or source for complete extraction. Then we add rosin to the coconut oil from the chips to increase potency. Maybe add some cbd and or cbn/cbg isolate for custom blends.

We already have different strains for different times of day and moods etc. why not add the cbd or whatever to have a more targeted effect?

1 Like

you said you were aiming at 30mg doses

so aim at 30mg/ml (common dispensary tincture potency).
or slightly higher so you have to dilute.
100mg/ml is probably a reasonable upper limit.

input at 18% cannabinoids. 500g. => 90g == 90,000mg of cannabinoids

if you want 30mg/ml. how may mls of oil do you start with? (3 Liters).

use 1liter and you’ll lose a little more of your total cannabinoids, but you’ll still have on the order of 3000 doses

or get the consumer level Levo and use their recipe…

1 Like

Currently we only harvest about 1.5lbs at a time, just getting our feet wet indoor growing.

Also we need an intermediate (to us but still tiny compared to most here) setup that doesn’t break the bank. Not sure capability ideal but 1-3 lbs at a time?

Capsule potency depends on what we made the capsule for but for our daughter only 20-40mg which is low compared to cancer patients and other ailments.

What have you found for biomass to oil ratio to be least necessary to have a good infusion and not leave out too much while not having diluted end product?

1 Like

math shown…
know your input potency.
aim at 30-100mg/ml.
more oil will give better yield, as oil left behind contains cannabinoids.

using water to chase the oil off your biomass works…

3 Likes

We started our journey with the magical butter making coconut oil infusions with herb a nutty green and mailed us. However it was really weak. But looking back I don’t even know what ratios we used or if we even tried to calculate it out.

However I have a question: You said 90g, that assuming 100% efficiency in extraction from the biomass.

Isn’t ethanol only 20% efficient? That would lead me to ASSume that oil wouldn’t also be in that ballpark if not lower. At 20% that leave us with 18,000mg/1000ml = 18mg/ml which is drastically different that the expected 100mg/ml.

Am I over thinking this?

1 Like

no sir.

you can achieve close to 90% with either easily.

95-98% often claimed by ethanol equipment vendors. I’ve gotten 85% when extracting 50lb of 12% cannabinoid biomass into 15gal of ethanol.

Edit: but you are absolutely correct. you’re looking at 81,000mg from your 500g input. so if you really want 30mg/ml you want to extract into 2.7liters not 3.

https://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/en_2013_01_1.pdf

2 Likes

We’re in the process of finding a new lab. Our last one got shut down and a lot won’t take private.

As far as water, is that why that link had 50ml water added to one of the recipes? What’s best way to separate water out because boiling would be too hot and ruin some terps right?

I’m gonna sleep on this and re look at it tomorrow. I’m getting tired. Thank you.

3 Likes

oil and water should separate…that is the whole point of using water. you can wash the oil soaked biomass with “hot” water to remove additional oil, then even freeze to ease separation.

I say should, because: emulsions

2 Likes

Perfect. I was more thinking skimming it or something tedious. Frozen much easier.

this is why i say decarboxilated rosin is the best. it’s the most full spectrum extract i know of and i have seen the best results with it.

But cyclopath’s direct to oil method is probably a better option for you. it’s definitely lower cost and i was going to recommend diluting the rosin into a tincture for easy dosing in capsules anyway so his method cuts out a few steps as long as you dont over/under decarboxilate

Consumption of non medicinal compounds is not advised. The goal is to take the compounds that are medicinal with actual effect and try and purify or remove them from the remainder non medicinal.

Remember when dealing with rso or similar green or brown non processed extracts, that rso is toxic on your stomach and does nothing but damaged your guts. Isolating and removing all the dissolved plant matter that agrivates guts is a reason to focus on purification. None the less other cannabis consumables. Remember bare or typical rock simpson or rsp similar to standard types of rosin are considered.not suitable for human consumption. It must be reworked to be safer.

For the most part terps are partial to a smoking experience but should be avoided for any oral consumption product. The go to typically is distillate nc of immediate and effective bio activity. Terps saturated orally administered extracts are actually extreme harsh on your body and a child’s bldg a d should be avoided like the plague. Oral application should be done with the cleanest and purest.

I would never feed my kid any rosin or rso. It’s absolutely horrific to them and I would focus on purification as this will lead to immediate results and effective treatments.

Rosin isn’t actually a full spectrum range of cannabinoids. It’s a shmorgusborg of random non consumable compounds pressed out.