New York May Allow Hemp Licensees to Enter Recreational Market

Pretty interesting that NY and VA both started pushing this at the same time. Operators in NY, have you heard whether or not this bill has a shot?

The New York state Senate passed a bill that would provide hemp farmers a conditional license to grow, process and distribute marijuana flower products.

Sen. Michelle Hinchey, co-sponsor of Senate Bill S8084A, told the Daily Freeman in Kingston that the legislation would accelerate the recreational marijuana launch as well as bring additional diversity into the state’s adult-use program.

The Senate passed the measure by a 50-13 vote on Tuesday. It now goes to the New York State Assembly.

Hinchey also noted that the bill would help advance the adult-use program’s social equity goals by establishing mentorship programs that bring more minority farmers into the industry.

6 Likes

You bet your fucking ass if a hemp farmer can stay afloat in the smokable hemp market they sure as fuck can grow some FIRE. This is gonna get interesting real soon.

11 Likes

I have no skin in the NY game but am so pumped to see this… there are ten (10) vertically integrated medical licensees who thought they’d have an exclusive run on the market for at least a year. LOL if this passes

10 Likes

I have some friends in that state that will be stoked

2 Likes

Absolutely does, yes. Have some connections in NY senate.

4 Likes

Lmao that’ll kill the $65 t shirts with a free gram

1 Like

Spoke with a cultivation friend of mine about this earlier this week. Good news for those mutant mfers that have been able to both stay afloat and in the good graces of the governing bodies…

If any farmers are willing to partner or do a sublet/royalty deal… I can help you with compliance, local+state licensing, vendors, offtake deals, (maybe) funding, misc other things in return for a few thousand sqft of canopy for breeding+craft flower production. Fully realize this will likely be ridiculed lol. I’m down to drive up from PA on a moment’s notice. Let’s bring it to the MSOs.

5 Likes

Hahahahahaha

1 Like

No shame in putting the good vibes out haha

2 Likes

No ridicule here, but I can probably collaborate with you on 2000sqft. If this hemp growers deal goes down in NY.

4 Likes

Passed assembly - onto the Gov desk.

Hemp farmers need to have farmed and harvested in 2 of the last 4 years and also must have had an active license up to Dec. 31

7 Likes

Uhhhhhhhhhhh…

I know a dude who ticks all those boxes and upon my last business meeting with him was hella interested in entering the market…

Welp - doesn’t hurt to ask :sunglasses:

4 Likes

In VA, it’s already the Wild West. Cops are not prosecuting because the AGs told them the courts will drop cannabis charges.

The BM is now a grey market that is completely unregulated from what I can see. It’s got to be the golden era of trapping lol

1 Like

Remember (said it once and I will say it again), it only takes a few handjobs to get to the top…

Get to rubbing…

2 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see a white market compete with the flourishing grey market here.

Don’t bring your boof game :slight_smile:

giphy (48)

I’m not from far away in Boston and I gotta say, the gray market depends on how the dispos want to handle themselves. Right now they’re trying to normalize selling UNTRIMMED weed to cut labor costs yet won’t buy a machine trimmer. The prices are insane and the quality is dogshit. I would say it’s NY’s move to see how this is going to work out. When I was out there they didn’t seem to have plan no.1 worked out to give some sort of smooth transition. I ended up buying a D8 pen for the first time out there (got high as shit too, did not hate it for a disty pen). If the farmers make a STRONG opening gambit and flood the market with good shit due to tons of active farming knowledge going on upstate it could be a whole different game than other Northeastern markets.

3 Likes

We are super excited to give the medical mj folks a run for their money. This couldn’t have happened at a better time with hemp prices so low. Hope the market continues to edge up and we get a foothold on the rec market.

2 Likes

If the hemp from around here is any indicator - I think it’s going to be mids out the gate

3 Likes

Im right up the turnpike in Holliston

1 Like