New Summit SPD-8 Head

I do indeed.

@soxlet I need some advise
So the heating elements in solution I was considering coating them with ptfe but the temp is really close to it s maximum operation temp so it s not a real good option
Question what other option is there
A 316 stainless heating elements ?
B a better heat ristant coating than ptfe ?
C plating with gold or platinum but is that heat resistent ?

1 Like

@Roguelab I know I’m not aoxhlet but my suggestion would be for you to have the elements thermally spray coated with alumina powder.

Totally chemically inert, extremely durable even under extremely high temperatures (used for ceramic coating pistons and exhaust manifolds.), and dirt cheap if you’ve got the equipment to get it done yourself.

2 Likes

Is that fda approved ?

3 Likes

Probably not but seeing as how that wouldn’t concern me, I don’t actually have that information.
I don’t know why it wouldn’t be, the alumina essentially gets ejected as molten particles and ends up splattering onto the substrate. It makes a surface finish thats extremely slick like porcelain and the the surface is really wear resistant.

I would think that the surface finish would be considered “hygenic” like the FDA likes stainless to be. But again idk.

Edit: looks like there’s lots of instances of thermally sprayed metal oxides being used for coating components that will normally be in contact with foods.

1 Like

go with ss if you can, other option would be a tube you could run heat transfer fluid through?

2 Likes

@Roguelab Are stainless RBF a thing? instead of glass its stainless. I was thinking itd be cool to have a jacketed RBF so that the heat from the mantle warms the liquid in the jacket and gives uniform heating throughout the entire jacketed portion of the rbf. Theres probably a few reasons why its not a thing just curious.

1 Like

Man if it s up to me sure but the truth is
I think yust reactor style is easier

1 Like

The main one being that you’re heating liquids usually that (when stirred) wouldn’t see any benefit from an interlayer between them and the actual heat source. It would just complicate things.

1 Like

Kinda heart broken this was overlooked.