New Service: Converted vs. Natural THC and Derivatives

KCA Labs is now offering a service to identify whether or not a substance is naturally derived or converted.

We are aware of the growing amount of converted D9-THC in the market, so we want to help buyers understand the origin of the material.

Our lab can help discern between naturally extracted versus converted THC, THCV, THCP, and so on.

Feel free to get in contact on here or through our website’s published communication channels.

21 Likes

Is there actually 100% conveniented D9 liters on the market?

If so, that’s impressive…

1 Like

Now I haven’t done any conversions myself, and I’m not saying you can’t do this, but I just wanted to understand the degree of accuracy available.

If I were to submit two samples as follows:

(1) 99% isolate, naturally extracted and put through flash chromatography, affinity chromatography or through CPC to isolate the delta 9

(2) a conversion product that I also run through flash chromatography, affinity chromatography, or CPC to remove all of the other impurities and left with a 99% pure product of now converted D9

How can you determine the difference between these with this level of purification on both sides? Maybe there’s something I’m missing?

4 Likes

I think we should put the service to the test and see.

So far we have been able to identify 99% pure THC as being converted or natural, but there may be limitations up to 99.9%, 99.99%, and so on.

If the results are inconclusive we’ll report as such.

7 Likes

It seems it might be more interesting to be able to tell the difference when a little d8 is mixed in. Is it a conversion or just some extra residency time, or naturally occurring?:thinking:

6 Likes

Fair enough. Looks like a good reason for me to play around with some synthesis.

2 Likes

I should probably clarify that contamination or additives may give rise to identifying a mostly natural substance as containing some synthetic compounds.

We’re working on the language that will be reported.

How will you do this when you can make d8 > d9 without forming any exo or iso thcs?

I know someone with an sop to convert d8 into 100% d9 with no exo or iso thc

1 Like

We’d love to see a 100% converted D9. Do you have a sample?

7 Likes

Can you clarify if you can tell the difference between naturally occurring d8 and a straight conversion or accidental conversion?

Yes, we have not had naturally occurring D8 in this lab. I know plenty of salespeople are selling D8 as such, but we see evidence that it is not.

If anyone has naturally extracted D8 we would like to see it.

11 Likes

I’m talking about samples that contain small amounts. Not anything that would be marketed as d8. Say 95%d9 and 2%d8 with a few other minors in there.

1 Like

Not even plant samples? Only reason I ask is I have seen trace signal show up where d8 elutes on my method, its very low but the bump is there

1 Like

The D8 would be a conversion product. It would be tough to call the rest of the D9 as natural with a converted isomer present.

1 Like

Are you seeing it on a GCFID or a GCMS?

Do you have more of that sample?

1 Like

So that means you really can’t tell if it’s d9 disty that had a little longer residence time in an spd, or a straight conversion. That’s an issue I’d say…

3 Likes

GC FID, I’ll check. I think its sitting in solvent

I personally do not, I just know the guy trying to sell the sop.

Ive seen the coa, it wasnt GCMS unfortunately but I believe him as the old literature reports that d8 > d9 using HCL and tert butoxide doesnt produce exo or iso thc.

Ill see about getting a sample

1 Like

One is from a sample of THCv I picked up, the other from a plant sample. I’ll let you guess is the converted sample.

1 Like

The interum final rules for hemp state that the d8 content is 1% the d9 content in hemp, there are people on this forum who have tested samples of flower that have low ammounts of d8 in them.

2 Likes