New research suggests that Hemp is mostly Marihuana - other study suggests that water is wet

While i didnt understand a lot from that article…it seems like they are trying to identify where CBDRx comes from…

It did have a little history on our high CBD strains which i was really unaware of until i skimmed over that article…

The 2 things i found pretty interesting from an academic point of view is

“Recent demand for cannabidiol (CBD), the predominant cannabinoid in cultivated hemp, has favored the breeding of high potency CBD-dominant (high-CBD) plants (Small, 2016). Recently developed, high-CBD cultivars commonly referred to as “hemp” often exceed THC<0.3% dry weight and fail to meet statutory definitions of industrial hemp. We restrict our use of the term “hemp” to fiber and grain
cultivars for the sake of clarity (Toth et al., 2020)”

• seems like even the academics know the CBD grown in america today mimicks more marijuana lite than hemp…

Then its the origin of high cbd strains which i had no clue a high THC strain was involved…

“High-CBD cultivars, CBDRx and First Light (FL), are related to Cherry cultivars originating
from Colorado, USA (e.g. Cannatonic, Charlotte’s Web, ACDC). FL plants, FL48 and FL49 were full
siblings and a third, FL18, descended from a different family. The F2 mapping population was
described in Weiblen et al. (2015). In brief, parental high-THC Cannabis (Skunk#1) and fiber hemp
(Carmen) cultivars were sibling-crossed for five generations to increase homozygosity. A single fifth-
generation Skunk#1 female was fertilized with pollen from a single fifth-generation Carmen male. A
single female F1 plant was isolated and propagated asexually. Development of staminate flowers in
female clones was induced using silver nitrate and clones were self-pollinated to produce the F2
generation. Plant growth conditions are described in Methods S1”

-call me dumb…but i always thought the high CBD strains we see today were the result of selective breeding of Hemp to express the high CBD not that it was Skunk #1 and hemp plant breed for several generations to remove as much THC as possible…

Thanks for that article @cyclopath while a ton of the CBDRx stuff was over my head there was some information i was able to pull and learn a little today! thanks!

5 Likes

Why you gotta spell Marijuana like that though.

1 Like