New gear idea thread for my Chinese wiped film

I wannnaaaa… but nothings ready. Few months time maybe

1 Like

This setup cut my room temp from 95f to usually around 80 with no ac running… its 5mm pyrogel from ebay and aluminum foil. Took me a long time to get it setup right, lots of zip tie acrobatics but once it was done, havent changed a thing since

6 Likes

So i came across this 440cfm vacuum pump, but it’s from a truck… seems badass if I could retrofit

1 Like

What’s the ultimate vacuum/what style pump.

Also, that diff pump is massive lol, looks like that they use for vacuum heat treat furnaces

That’s a very good point actually… could only pull to half and atmosphere… dur #stoned

Don’t get too upset, sometimes adding an extra roots stage to something like that makes for a killer foreline pump for a diff pump. If you’re into the whole “having three pumps running at the same time” thing.

1 Like

Yeah I get you, good to note, appreciated

Don’t use air blower vacs from construction trucks. Come on dude. Common sense here. You need analytical style vacuum pumps for Distillation.

One must ask themselves not if yee need three pumps, but maybe yee can’t afford three pumps.

3 Likes

It’s all about cost vs performance in my book. Some people are constrained by minimum performance, trying to find the most cost effective route to that level. Others are constrained by cost, trying to get the most performance for their budget. The third kind is people that are looking for the best ratio, and that flexibility usually provides the best deal IME.

I honestly think it’s possible that the best ratio of cost:performance could come from three pumps if they’re from the island of misfit toys, but it’d depend on specifics

Edit for realizing what we’re talking about: I stand by what I said but a regen blower is not a vacuum pump and you’re gonna need a lot more stages to get near foreline pressure if it’s only doing 1/2 atm… Sorry for the confusion

I get it. But in most cases to explain in better terms bringing the cusp of the vacuum down even with blowers brings your temp down and your speed up.

1 Like

It’s a good point. Even just hooking a cheap blower to the discharge of a rotary vane can be a worthwhile endeavor

Fair point, but in case you missed I’m stoned, I’m talking like right properly medicated - my brain works at no where near full capacity when I’m medicated.
Cost:performance is important but more along the lines of profit:cost