2 Likes

Chlorinated solvents are baaaad

1 Like

either you get things done or you don t
chemistry is a trade with. many poisons what can I say

7 Likes

Can’t be a chemist and afraid of chemicals :sweat_smile: :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Afraid of side products, exposure, improper handling, and disposal. This is :100: something a chemist should consider …oh and impact on the environment

All I said is chlorinated solvents are bad

This is a true statement

FYI

3 Likes

I think that’s all very insightful commentary.

2 Likes

“ Instead of ignoring fear, we build unique relationships with it by developing a profound sense of self-awareness and making deliberate risk assessments.” - Eileen Gu

To not fear chemicals is to be ignorant and hazardous.

There are better solvents that are more efficient with less hazards

3 Likes

Without any knowledge of what anyone is actually doing in their lab synthetically, its presumptuous to come in guns blazing about how a chlorinated solvent performs in some reaction you would have no way of knowing about. Yes, every chemist under the sun understands that you want to move in the direction of less hazardous than more hazardous - just like every chemist under the sun has probably already glanced over the SDS of a common solvent like DCM. The notion of greener chemistry is not news to anyone.

There are reactions and research endeavors out there that simply rely on chlorinated solvents. That’s the fact of the matter, and that’s presumably what @Roguelab mean by “you either do or dont get things done.” There are reactions out there that either only work in a select number of solvents, DCM included, and there are also some reactions you’d be crazy not to explore using a non-flammable solvent like DCM. Any process chemist worth their salt would attempt, or at least consider, switching to more friendly solvents, reagents and conditions - sometimes it works, and sometimes you find that the best or safest way is with a chlorinated solvent. Solvent selection is not trivial - some reactions are entirely solvent dependent, which I’m sure you recognize. Sometimes switching away from a chlorinated solvent results in an even more hazardous alternative. There is a right way and wrong way to handle just about any chemical.

What I find peculiar is to comment, without any insight on what chemistry other people might be doing in the privacy of their research environment with “there are more efficient solvents than XYZ for your process.” There is no way to support that statement without having some insight into what rationale someone might have had for their solvent selection. If every process could run in water at room temperature that’s what everyone would do, but that isn’t how chemistry works and its not insightful to make a blanket statement like “DCM = bad,” which every chemist already knows, and act like that’s gospel especially without knowing why that solvent may have been selected in the first place. How could you possibly know if DCM is or isn’t more “efficient” in processes you’ve never been privy to? It would imply you’ve run every reaction ever, in every solvent no less.

I agree that if a reaction runs identically in DCM or heptane, that you should go with heptane. But sometimes its just not that cut and dry.

9 Likes

Thx guess I should not mention hmpa as solvent :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Name me 1 solvent that is not chlorinated
To use with aluminium cloride anhydrous
Giving decent yields ?
None is available
Shit I hate dcm for it s darn mass when doing LLE
For it s dissolving power of gaskets
For it s cancer generating ( not proven but most likely)
For god knows how many reasons

But it has something special on cannabinoids
It makes them dance to the right tune
Only dcm And dmso have this strength on cannabinoids

2 Likes

i LOVE DCM. almost as much as the older chemists who still call it Methylene Chloride :laughing:

2 Likes

I know, I’m one of them and I used to use about a barrel a week of it.

The title of this thread is “New extraction method” which I don’t see chlorinated solvents being necessary for

Synthesis is different :100:

but I still hate using something like DCM on cannabis. Seems super against the spirit of the plant

3 Likes

I totally get what you mean, and I agree!

2 Likes

ha, HMPA and carbon tetrachloride are on the no fly list for me - amongst a few others (organo mercury/tin). Don’t get me wrong, sometimes a synthesis comes across our desks that we just decide we aren’t willing to confront.

2 Likes

Agreed and I think that each with comon sense should evaluate it s limits
Cbd delta 6 was the target at the time and
The rxn seems only possible with hmpa
@Kingofthekush420 claimed a different solvent could also be used but I have put that project on hold so far
If only mothersmilk could be used what a wonderful world this would be

1 Like

Ive had a synthesis for 6a10a-THC thats kinda gnarly, and we were able to avoid HMPA. But, it came at the cost of some other pretty nasty chemicals that I can’t un-smell. That project got put on hold because it was a pain in the ass to just get a 70% reaction mixture, and when I went to distill it everything degraded…it seems that compound is not particularly stable, or maybe simply cannot tolerate a short path.

2 Likes

There’s a patent on the process I’m talking about lemme see if I can find it

Hmpa is used to break apart the base and make it active

There are other things that you can use that are less toxic but might smell like eggs :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe I misread the thread but I thought when roguelab mentioned DCM he was talking about recarboxylation, not extraction. The OP made it seem like the new extraction method starts with extracting CBDa. But I think we can all agree that DCM is nasty and best avoided, and it’s better to keep our cannabinoids in their natural carboxylic acid form then recarb them after a lengthy process.

4 Likes

If you are located in EU, could you dm me. Interested in hhc whole pricing and perhaps also SOP, but that’s a next step. Thanks!

1 Like