New Cannabusiness model? Tech and product manufacturing MSO franchise – Advice and thoughts

Quick background and context – I will try to make this short as possible (though its likely not possible) – If anyone wants more info, ask and I will get more down outside of the OP.

My background is in engineering and automation. A few years ago the startup I worked at shut down (COVID lost our funding…). I saw how much preroll machines sold for and how simple they were, so I decided to develop my own solutions, manufacture, and sell them. In the initial process of developing the tech and auditing the value model of prerolls in the industry, I was able to (lets just say…) develop a system that solves many/all problems people arent even aware of, and ultimately decided to keep my tech proprietary and start a contract manufacturing business to leverage my IP in the cannabis space itself.

Over the last 2 years – I have worked with various clients in the space and bootstrapped my way to where I am now. Focusing time, efforts, and reinvestment into operational perfection and tech. I recently began a relationship with a new license holder who has contracts with very high level brands (You know them…). After talking with brands who operate worldwide in the space, I have realized that my operation is significantly more valuable than I had even thought. What we have now is a highly tuned manufacturing operation that creates unmatched value potential in the industry.

My sights are now set on national expansion…

I am being intentionally vague here – So don’t ask for tech/ops details please, it’ll just be awkward…

So – How do we best monetize / expand the value structure we have created, considering our circumstances?

One important caveat is that our tech, without our processes and us running the business, isn’t going to do much for anyone. Shit is extremely complicated and requires a lot to do right, and people WILL squander it without us. Plus the tech given out could be ripped off if the wrong people figured out our processes before we have the resources to outspend them (welcome to tech). So selling / licensing would be a massive waste of time and loss of potential expansion opportunity. So we are not going that route. Plus, we have also expanded our tech far beyond just prerolls, and already have extremely valuable horizontal expansion plans… We also know how to provide a certain (other) types of value by going this route we intend to capitalize on. Not to mention the value of the infrastructure for clients and our own brands. So for these reasons, the operation in other states has to be at least partly ran / owned by us.

Our prospective plan: A Cannabis Manufacturing Franchise

We partner via a joint venture with a business in new states who have preroll business, sourcing, capital and licensed space. We dedicate an area within the operation as our manufacturing area. Within this area, we control limited access entry and security to protect our IP. We provide a fully outfitted manufacturing operation within this area, and train a team (who sign a lot of contracts) to run the daily operations. Our partners handle in state compliance and payroll, while we handle all operation management from our base of ops (Think the corporate office for a food chain). Together we both bring in business (my brands, and our partner businesses, their brands, local CM work) and split profits.

So, my question is this. Many of you have worked with or even own many operations in many states. I have limited experience in this area. Many of you are also fellow entrepreneurs/business owners in the space. So I would like to see if anyone has any thoughts they might be able to provide on potential issues or opportunities, or if this model, for some reason unbeknownst to me, is problematic from some form of expectation I have based on lack of on-the-ground knowledge. Or if there are legal complexities I should be aware of. Things to look out for or consider when rolling out this plan. Or maybe this just doesnt look like a valuable proposition or raises specific concerns, as I have proposed, that need to be worked out?

One major issue of an engineer running a business without a sales-y partner is that we are process people, not networking people. So while we have built a value structure that is to my knowledge unparalleled in the market, I have nearly no contacts for investors, partners, license holders, or national contacts who would be able to move forward with. So second thing I hope to get is advice on how to get in front of the right people. I am very confident on the value I can provide here, but it is (intentionally I’d imagine) difficult to get in contact with the right people to make this happen. I am aware of conferences and cannabis events, and intend to start there, but this will take a lot of time, so anything that could help me cut the curve would be greatly appreciated advice… as I mentioned, I am an automation nerd more than a networking guy – If nothing else I’m systematically too focused on creating value to spend the time pushing it. My toxic trait, and a common one, as an entrepreneur, that I am working on fixing… That said, I can close deals and articulate my value well, so once I am in the door I am good.

I appreciate any and all thoughts! This is my first official thread on here - Cherry popped :metal:

2 Likes

Well, I understand you are keeping your IP close to your chest, and for good reason, I’d imagine. I do believe it will be hard for companies to see the value in what you are proposing without actually seeing what it can do. I have zero experience in mfg and equipment sales, but I believe there are quite a few folks here that have experience in those fields. That being said, they will probably need more information about what it is you are actually proposing and how that will impact the preroll mfg market. I would definitely be interested in seeing what it is that you are doing differently, but I understand the cloak and dagger approach being necessary if it is as groundbreaking as you seem to believe it is. Short of networking with people here, I’d imagine getting a working model in front of people to showcase its ability will be paramount for adoption, but I am sure you realize this. I am interested in what you come to market with!

2 Likes

They don’t play solo in the major leagues. I’d get a lawyer, an accountant, and a consult (or four) to scope needs.

In that order. Best of luck!

5 Likes

Not gonna happen. It’s literally against most state laws.

2 Likes

This is a complexity I am fully aware of - And something I do have a plan for. I am primarily just being vague in the public domain because I am not sure who is on here or can see this - So I am trying to only explain what is needed to get the questions I am asking answered. However at the least I do have valid specs for what I am able to acomplish and numbers to back it up. I am to be honest still working out exactly how I can go about that process with best practice. I am currently in the process of structuring all of this though because I do agree. Perhaps capitalizing on indirectly showing what we are capable of on instagram would be a good start.

And to qualify my statement in the post a bit - I should say that the value this has in my eyes is only based off of what I have seen from others who have been introduced to the numbers and specs. Though I might have, I dont want to seem cocky - It just appears obvious what I have has significant value based off of comparing numbers and talking to stakeholders.

And I appreciate the advice, I have been reading on here deeply for years and am just now getting in the mix. At the very least I think this community would be the perfect place to start! Feel free to DM me and lets get in contact and I can explain a bit more that I wont openly here.

1 Like

Already got these on my Phase 0 short list! Accountants and legal will be key to have to be staffed on the corporate level - And consults will come from networking, which I am working on… haha

In what way? I am talking about setting up a registered business in-state for the JV, which is owned by the national business. But we go back to - I need/intend to start with a lawyer.

Nah this is how a lot of edible companies do it (not technically via JV but in essence yes). Or just sell packaging/something ancillary to the franchisee at a rate where the per unit royalty cost is built in. There are a few other ways to do it

5 Likes

Our partners here are already set up like that with a few nationals - So I know there are options at least

I would definitely be interested in hearing more. At the very least, preliminary media could consist of a big black box that spits out prerolls. Could probably hide the unique tech/ip by a facade that demonstrates its ability/throughput without compromising IP.

1 Like

Might be able to lease a wholesale license in Oregon, difficult with zero connections