Nervous about my first closed loop run

I’ve purchased a 450g closed loop extraction kit, it’s got sight windows on the reclamation tank and collection chamber, and gauges all over the place so that I can make sure it’s at 0psi before I crack it open. I’ve filled it with butane and sat it at 20psi overnight to check for leaks, and there are none. I’ve torqued everything correctly, set up an environment that’s entirely free of hazards and has proper ventilation, and all the gear was bought from a trusted vendor.

However I still can’t shake the nerves about using it for the first time!

I’ve done closed loop and open blast before, but i was using my friends system with his guidance, and this would be my first solo venture.

I’m trying to write myself up a small checklist before operating; I feel like if I have a list of things to tick off before running it’ll help with my anxiety regarding it.

If anyone can help add things to this list, I would really appreciate it.

1: open all valves to make sure system is empty
2: check torque on all clamps
3: close valves one by one and use vacuum to completely empty chambers
4: connect hose from butane tank to top of extraction tube
5: place collection chamber/extraction tube in bucket of ice (dry is is VERY hard to come by where I live)
6: open valves and let tube build pressure (from what I understand I shouldn’t get above 35psi at the temp I’ll be working)
7: allow 15 minutes to pass
8: open ball valve to collection chamber
9: close ball valve once pressure equalises in collection chamber
10: remove chamber from ice
11: connect hose to reclamation tank and collection chamber, open valves
12: place reclamation tank in ice, wait for pressure to build in tank, warm water bath (30c) ready for collection chamber if needed
13: wait for passive system to reclaim as much solvent as possible
14: open all valves on collection/extraction to release any remaining pressure
15: remove clamp between ball valve and extraction tube and take away any plant material
16: remove clamp from collection chamber and pour solvent/oil mixture into Pyrex dish
17: once most purged, put Pyrex dish in 5.5l vac chamber and purge/whip

1 Like

You filled it with butane before pressure testing it? All bad. You’re lucky there was no leaks.

I was scared to run my closed loop the first few times also. It’s was a 5lb loop. Then someone said to me “why are you scared, you used to open blast”. Thought about those words for a few seconds and then realized I was tripping.

A closed loop is the safer option. You already did the scary option. Now get to work. Not much you can do that will hurt anything. It’s a closed loop.

4 Likes

Sorry I should clarify, I watched the sales person use pressurised air on individual parts prior to me purchasing, just not as an assembled unit. My first test fully assembled was with butane, yes.

Ok since you’re new I’ll politely let you know. You need to pressure test everything every time you move it. So it held pressure at the store right. But what about after the drive home? Your car isn’t a magic carpet so therefore the small vibration will cause things to become loose and potentially leak.

6 Likes

Your hoses should all be connected already prior to you starting your vacuum. Otherwise air will be in the line.

And you’re going to run passive with just ice ? Good luck my friend.

If you French fry when you should’ve pizzad you’re gunna have a bad time.

2 Likes

Wow I just finished reading this.
Whoever taught you how to do this is sketch at best.

There’s alot of things you shouldn’t do in this list.

You should not stop the solvent for 15 minutes. Let it go straight through the column into your collection pot.

Step 11. Should already be connected. See last posts. If it’s not you can’t vacuum out the air in the line.

Sketch at best is an understatement, I’ve seen him use electric stoves to speed up the purging process. I’ve no intention of working with him again.

That’s a good point about the hoses, I’ll make sure to rearrange the order of my list to include that.

I’ve got it sat at a different location, given the legality of the equipment where I live I wouldn’t be moving it, especially not in a car. But thank you for the heads up on that, I’ll make sure to pressure test if I ever do move the system.

Do you have a scale? We use a ratio for butane to material when injecting. Not a timer. Normally ppl run 5 parts solvent to 1 part material atleast

That means your going to run 5lbs of butane for a 450g closed loop

2 Likes

I do have a scale, but didn’t even think to use it. I’m using a butane tank that is almost new, and it definitely has enough gas to hit a 5:1 ratio on a 450g tube. I would be weighing my starting material beforehand and I likely would end up with 300-350g in the tube itself.

With that said. Do you have a separate solvent tank for recovery or are you recovering back into the main tank?

Usually you’d want to distill the butane you’re going to use before you use it. And to do that you inject the butane into the collection and recover it into your recovery tank. But if you only have 1 tank that’s not an option.

What kinda butane you have? What ratio?

You’re going to want a refrigerant scale. If using a small tank you can get away with a postal scale from harbor freight for $40. You don’t want a bathroom scale or any scale that automatically turns off

I do have a seperate tank, so you recommend I run it through my system first and into the recovery tank?

And I’ll check to see if I can get a freight scale nearby, does it have to be explosion proof or anything like that? I recall seeing a YouTube video where the guy specifically mentioned using explosion proof scales.

This is the butane I’m using

Yes find out how much your solvent tank holds.
Then connect your solvent tank into the system. Run the solvent into your collection and then recover into your other tank. After clean out the mystery oil in your collection pot. And you’ll be good to set up and run

If you try to recover back into your big tank it won’t happen because you won’t be able to get that butane cold enough.

If I was you I’d really try to find a dry ice Plug. It’s pretty crucial. If you want to run without it you can use a recovery pump

1 Like

If you absolutely can’t find dry ice, mix a couple pounds of salt in your ice water

1 Like

Thanks for the advice lads, it went well

7 Likes

It also has enough to take your system over its safe volume limit….

Curious how was recovery with ice only? Product looks fire BTW!

1 Like

Fucking time consuming and not super efficient
I’ve gotta make a 2 hour drive to get dry ice, and that’ll be a time saver in comparison

3 Likes

Use ever clear and dry ice

Slurry will be your friend

https://www.homedepot.com/p/IGLOO-5-Gallon-Seat-Top-Beverage-Jug-Cooler-42329/318813575

Those coolers are the shyt for dry ice and ever clear.

Used it for dry ice and acetone too but acetone is less forgiving on seals.

They make 10 gal ones but stick your solvent tank in one of those jugs and submerge it in dry ice and alcohol for recovery then watch that gauge drop.