Need some insite rotovap ethanol extract

Hey guys back in the lab running ethanol extraction and filtering / winterization to go to disty.

Some carbon and silica got through the filter paper so pulled it and going to re run

Got everything squared away with the papers ECT . Added a filter to my inlet line on the roto as well.

Looked good all day then I shut it down and noticed some milky looking substance in the flask

( When the silica got through it held to the glass this one was fluid with a bit more ethanol in the flask )

I feel it might be water which makes a bit of scence to me as when filtering cold kegs they tend to sweat after a while

Not a newb to running these processes just has been a bit.

Can anyone help identify and or how to correct were already a few days behind due to the initial issue as I mentioned it’s all going to end up distillate

Thank you

1 Like

Most likely water.

2 Likes

That’s my thought just the new guy with this company was so cautious to make sure those filters were straight.

Water can still get through the filters. Even if they are aligned. There can be water in your ethanol (usually is) and it will pass through your filters too.

I’m not sure this is water though. You said you are still in ethanol but you are seeing something that looks milky? Some photos would probably help. <3

3 Likes

Pictures will help inform folks. Let’s see what you’re working with.

I’ll get pics if I càn Monday todày seemed like it disappeared but I did bump temps for a few gah 5 years out of this side of the lab I’m getting my gears back thanks guys

I’m guessing water as well; did you find an answer yet?

sorry for the insanely late response , but yes it was water

i knew it for some reason I was guessing myself when i know so much better

2 Likes