Need help with falling film for distillation

He might have got one of the Chinese baths that max out at 105. I’ve got those before.

1 Like

Yea and the fluid will boil over or catch on fire before it reaches the temps he needs.

@Shepard9 please list what fluids are in your baths

3 Likes

:man_shrugging: mine have heat bands.
Listen to @Apothecary36

wish i had a wiper…

1 Like

that is a wiped film, not a falling film.

that won’t work…you need to suck WAAAAY harder to distill cannabinoids.

(it is appropriate of a falling film, but you don’t have one of those)

which tells you you need to turn the heat up (but don’t bother until you can pull 100um or better on your empty still). if nothing is evaporating, nothing will condense.

start here: Boiling Point of THC

then Wiped Film Parameters

5 Likes

Hey can u translate microns into the whole E to the negative exponent thingy

If you look his vac level is at a whopping 2E^ 2

I distilled at 1 E^-1 but that’s as low as my Guage read…
Breaking dabs showed 1E^ -7 or something cray

Another great place to start is learning how to prep your crude. You will never get proper vac levels without devolatizing in another veasel or running a terp pass.

Run the oil circulator at 160 and your problem will be solved.

1 Like

Doubt it bud

Why? 2.6E-2 is 26 microns

1 Like

That’s a positive 2

Never seen a screen display E for a positive value… Pretty sure it’s just digits limitation. There isn’t a space on the screen for a - sign.

Hmm possibly! But with air vacuum and all idk!?

Even an air vacuum should get better than 260 torr… Which is what the way you’re reading it says… I mean do we know it’s actually an air vacuum? Might be a mistake by OP because he is clearly inexperienced.

3 Likes

“translation” or perhaps better “comparison”, requires units for both.

1E^7 could be 1 x 10-7meters Hg or mm Hg or um Hg. it is most likely torr == mm Hg.

1 x 10-7 torr == 1x 10-4 um == 0.0001microns(Hg)

OP’s vac level is 2.6x 10-2 Pa == 0.026 Pascals == 0.2um which should actually suffice (so I may have screwed up the math…or missed that there was no “-” sign)

@Shepard9 show us this “air vacuum” of which you speak. I know of no air powered vacuum source that will pull down that far.

3 Likes

units are pascals.

1 Like

Ah i see that now. Well.again I say, if he raises temp to 160, he will get distillation going at a reasonable rate. Of course there are many things to tune afterwards but that will.at least confirm the thing works.

3 Likes

if that’s 260Pa aka 1950microns (which seems possible with an “air-vac”), then the nomograph I pointed to upthread would suggest 240ish C for a boiling point (which is why you should go check it out @Shepard9 )

2 Likes

What does it say when you switch to torr?

Run at 68c internal, 168c jacket, lowest possible temp on cold trap and make sure you feed it continuously/

Letting these run for too long without distilling and evaporating oil will throw the heating systems out of whack

1 Like

Check the distillation section …maybe it will help

1 Like