Need help with falling film for distillation

Never seen a screen display E for a positive value… Pretty sure it’s just digits limitation. There isn’t a space on the screen for a - sign.

Hmm possibly! But with air vacuum and all idk!?

Even an air vacuum should get better than 260 torr… Which is what the way you’re reading it says… I mean do we know it’s actually an air vacuum? Might be a mistake by OP because he is clearly inexperienced.

3 Likes

“translation” or perhaps better “comparison”, requires units for both.

1E^7 could be 1 x 10-7meters Hg or mm Hg or um Hg. it is most likely torr == mm Hg.

1 x 10-7 torr == 1x 10-4 um == 0.0001microns(Hg)

OP’s vac level is 2.6x 10-2 Pa == 0.026 Pascals == 0.2um which should actually suffice (so I may have screwed up the math…or missed that there was no “-” sign)

@Shepard9 show us this “air vacuum” of which you speak. I know of no air powered vacuum source that will pull down that far.

3 Likes

units are pascals.

1 Like

Ah i see that now. Well.again I say, if he raises temp to 160, he will get distillation going at a reasonable rate. Of course there are many things to tune afterwards but that will.at least confirm the thing works.

3 Likes

if that’s 260Pa aka 1950microns (which seems possible with an “air-vac”), then the nomograph I pointed to upthread would suggest 240ish C for a boiling point (which is why you should go check it out @Shepard9 )

2 Likes

What does it say when you switch to torr?

Run at 68c internal, 168c jacket, lowest possible temp on cold trap and make sure you feed it continuously/

Letting these run for too long without distilling and evaporating oil will throw the heating systems out of whack

1 Like

Check the distillation section …maybe it will help

1 Like