Need help with CRD & Terps blend, what I did wrong?

Hello, I need help with my CRD and Terps blend.
First, sorry for my broken English, I’m French : )
Yesterday, I did my first try blending CRD & terps to fill some cartridges.
So, I started to slowly heating the CRD with my hot plate magnetic stirrer until 35°C.
After that, I put my % terp and did a 30 secs homogenization.
The result was messy, as you can see on the pic, 24h after is still not crystalised and still vapable, but the cart appeal, Is not here : )
IMG_9700.pdf (12.8 MB)

After this unsucessful try, i repeat the same process but without the homogenizer and the result was ok. The taste is good and the blend seems to be well done only with the magnetic stirrer.
IMG_9673.pdf (12.6 MB)

So, my question is:

• What I did wrong with the homogenizer ?
  • The homogenizer is not necessary to blend CBD CRD & Terps ?

Thank to let me know, even after intensively used the search box of this forum and found a lot of precious ( but diluate ) infos, I’m lost : )
All links are welcome, I really want to educate me about CRD and CBD cartridges.

Peace

How on earth did you get cbd and cbda to blend at 35c?

Any times I have done blends with cbda I have had to go up to 60-70c before it will even start to mix.

@thesk8nmidget What do you mean by “I have don’t blends with cbda I have had to go up to 60-70c” ? CBDA is not active at 35°?
I had no problem to mix with the magnetic stirrer at 35°C…
maybe my cheap Chinese sensor was not really ocurate?
Do you use the homogenizer ?

What I’m saying is how did your cbda become fluid enough to melt? At 35c it should be a really thick matrix that wouldn’t mix with a mag stir or homogenizer.

Do you have another way to test temp?

thanks for your answer @thesk8nmidget
Why do you talking specifically about CBDA ? I miss something, I think…
I used 3g of crystal resistant distillate and yes i mixed it with the magnetic stirrer ( I believed it ) at 35°c…
Did you checked my 1st pic ? why I had an emulsion after the homogenization run and not a clear Crystal ?

What type of homogenizer (picture is probably helpful). Source and COA on your CRD?

Distillate, even CRD, should be too viscous to use a magnetic stirrer on at 35C, 65C would be a more reasonable place to expect the magnet to actually start moving.

2 Likes

Hello @cyclopath please find all the infos below
But beside the heating problem,why I had an emulsion after the homogenization ?
The homogenizer is absolutely necessary ?
IMG_9701.pdf (16.5 MB)
IMG_9701.pdf (16.5 MB)

In no way is that distillate “crystal-resistant” unless there’s some cutting agent hidden in there.

If you want your product homogeneous, then a homogenizer is the correct tool.

I can hit 75% CBD on crude, 25% is a lot of “other” stuff to have come along for the ride on a decent distillation.

Even the kid I had running an spd who was certain one made distilled water by simply leaving tap water open to air for a day or two made distillate above 80%…and he was mostly just bumping from boiling flask to receiver.

It is certainly possible that whatever was left behind (or added!) to inhibit crystallization lowered the viscosity in a manner this crowd is unfamiliar with…(CBT?) but that still raises red flags for me.

You mention “cart appeal”, I assume this is a commercial venture at some level. A high shear homogenizer IS the correct tool. I’ve certainly seen the game played without one. I’ve NEVER seen distillate that stirred worth a damn at 35C.

By cart appeal, I mean the look is messy ( check 1st post pics ) comparing to my 2nd pic. I’m a huge user of CBD cart and I’m interested to understand the process and make my own. CBD cart is 35/55€ in France. As reader of this forum, is not “out of mind” for me to try myself : )
Concerning the temperature, maybe my cheap chinese equipment is not accurate at all. I will check with an another sensor. But it’s not explain the emulsion after the homogenization…

If your “distillate” is low enough viscosity to use a high shear homogenizer at 35C, then it has something in it that is causing that. If what you’re looking at after “homogenization” is an emulsion, then it suggests that whatever the unknown ingredient(s) is(are), it’s not miscible in your terpene blend.

“It looks like hell, but it works, and is 10% of retail pricing” seems like a win for personal use.

“It doesn’t look pretty enough” is a commercial compliant… “it doesn’t WORK” is not.

It’s also possible you’re not looking at an emulsion, and you just whipped air in there…

my understanding (not having made CBD based carts) is that crystallization is more about aesthetics than functionality. …and for personal use, hitting them with a heat gun or lighter to get them going again (if you need to) is better that paying “store bought” prices.

1 Like

I was assuming cbda but I should have realized you are probably working with CRD that is just low potency cbd with a lot of unknowns which explains why it would blend at 35c

So, what I did wrong with the homogenizer ?
to don’t have a clear CRD ?

Too small a volume?!?

What size container?
How much “distillate”?

How long did you mix?