Need Help Using Vacuum Chamber. Where does the ethanol go?

I just got this pump from ebay with its chamber, its my first time ever using it, I will only use it to remove ethanol from the oil and my biggest question is, where does the ethanol go ? Where does it come out of ? The red cap ? The big blue cap ? The back ? It has to come out of somewhere but i dont know where that somewhere is, all I know is that I dont want ethanol being exhausted into my room so I was wondering if there is a way to avoid that from happening, other than that any tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

It gets stuck in the pump oil effectively ruining the oil.
You can put a cold trap in between your oven and pump. Or since it’s a cheap pump, just get some cheap pump oil and change it often

6 Likes

Also they make mist filters that go on where the cap is filtering smoke etc from going into your room. They make some with kf25 on both side so you can connect multiples or a hose at the end to dump outside.
If you want to use one of these filters you will need a threaded to kf25 adapter. A kf25 clamp and gasket. And the filter

2 Likes

The blue gas cap is your exhaust. But yeah, your oil is going to eat a lot of it up. You can plumb the exhaust to go out a window or get a mist filter for it

Thanks a lot man, yeah I would really like to add a cold trap to it, would you show me a link of a cold trap you would use for this ?? I had been looking for one but I was not sure if I was looking at the right ones, thanks again !!

I don’t run a cold trap. Honestly a cold trap is going to cost more then that pump is worth. I’d personally just run it and change the oil more often. If you go this route hit up @david his glassware is great at an awesome price. And custom made. I would run the fullbore coldtrap and kf-25 Hoses if this was for me. If you go that route you will also need 2 24/40 to kf-25 adapters and 2 kf25 hoses clamps etc
If your running rubber hoses
https://www.amazon.com/100MM-cold-trap-length-300mm/dp/B078HCC1P4/ref=asc_df_B078HCC1P4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241956810441&hvpos=1o25&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16501268548713083159&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014247&hvtargid=pla-570719753473&psc=1

If you plan on running kf-25 hoses

How much ethanol are you planning to have in your extract when you go into the chamber?

If you’ve already recovered the majority of it, or evaporated it off using a heat source of some sort, then yeah it’s going into your pump, but, as @CannabisBlacklist says it’s a cheap pump and not really worth the expense of a cold trap to protect…just change the oil frequently and run it till you kill it. you can put it outside if the mist it creates is a problem. under that black cap is probably 3/4" NPT. you can get auto oil filters that will match that thread (you’ll need a nipple to connect them).

If planing to extract with ethanol and put that tincture straight into your vac chamber then you’ll need a condenser of some sort so as not to drown the poor pump (and get ethanol & pump oil all over your floor).

4 Likes

If you are just removing small amounts just change your oil often. If you are removing more you need a cold trap. You can rig all sorts of stuff, but dry ice is the most expensive part.

1 Like

Thanks man, I just went to Home Depot to get some oil and all they had was Air Compressor oil, is it ok to use this type of oil in the pump ? Its sunday and over here in Mexico is the only place thats open and i wanna get my pump pumping :slight_smile:

no heat ho vacuum ?? is this true ?? Do i need to apply heat for vacuum to occur ? Also, do you happen to know if I can use Air Compressor oil instead of Vacuum Oil in my vacuum pump ?

Thanks a lot for those links my friend! I found a similiar option in china for 50 bucks, I think I might get that and see how it goes.

I just got some Air Compressor oil, it was all i could find, is this oil ok to use in the vacuum pump ?

1 Like

you can certainly use good quality mineral oil. at least in this application.

not actually having investigated “air compressor oil” for use in a vac pump, I can’t be certain. you want low volatility oil to pull vacuum. were I to guess, I’d say air compressor oil shouldn’t hurt the pump, it just may not pull as deep a vacuum…

1 Like

I guess I will give it a shot then, I really dont want to ruin the pump, ill see what happens :slight_smile:
thanks for the help!

just to confirm; you have already removed the majority of your ethanol before putting your extract in the chamber?

nope, the solution im working on right now is 5 grams of oil diluted in 30 grams of ethanol, its a 6:1 ratio, why do you ask this, im about to do a small test with 20ml of that solution, I put the 20 ml in a 200ml glass, I wonder why you ask me this though.

I just did a test of the vacuum and it seems to be working fine the only “problem” i see and im a bit confused about this is that when the gauge reaches -1 mist starts coming out of the big blue cap, is this normal or is the oil not withstanding the temperature and evaporating off ?

because

20 or 30ml is not a huge deal, but if this is your plan for 500ml you need to rethink!

see “solvent recovery”.

A vacuum chamber is for purging the last of your solvent (5% ish).
not removing the bulk of it.

I have no idea what unit’s you’re using, so I can’t comment on “normal”, or if it’s the oil you’re using.

However, as noted, it is something that happens with that style of pump…

sorry for adding to the confusion…swap “black cap” for “blue cap”.

ask the all knowing one for “mist eliminator” and you’ll see it’s a “known issue”.

1 Like

ok ok I see exactly what you mean, what ill do is get a cold trap to put it in between the chamber and pump to address this issue ( i hope i wrote address right in the context it was meant )

I got a digital heated sillicon matt i can put below the chamber, what temp would you recommend i set it at ?

removing all of your ethanol in your vac chamber will likely also lead to extract everywhere!

your oil needs to be much higher viscosity before going under high vac without agitation. it will likely boil rapidly and you’ll lose 20-60% to the walls.

27-30C would be my recommended temps for purging to a “dabbable” product.

I recommend you proceed anyway. you can stage your vacuum in 3 or 4 steps and get the job done with the tools on hand. you’ll just need to get a condenser in-line before you scale.

if working in in Hg, I would recommend 10" for 30-40-min, then 15", then 20"…observing the reaction before opening the valve and turning the vac on again.

3 Likes

I guess I can solve this by setting up the cold trap, right ??

I was not aware I had to regulate the pressure, I just went for the max it could pump like shown in the picture, so whats the max I should vacuum at then ?? Im tryin to make vape pens by the way, i dont know if it matters but thats my goal and im sure you know the oil should be crystal clear, I really feel like making a dabbable product for myself though now that you mention it :slight_smile:

yep, you’ve hit full vac
(or at least as full as that pump will do, or that gauge will measure)

that’s 30" of Hg aka -1bar.

which means we’ve learned that air compressor oil will suffice, although it might make a hair more mist (unknown…)

watch your extract and see…
you do want full vac.
just not all at once.

No, a cold trap will have no effect on that fact that you didn’t stage the vacuum & put your extract in there with too low a viscosity. A cold trap will simply keep the ethanol out of your pump.

1 Like