Need advice before purchasing SPD KIT

not gonna cut it

Damn, thats something thats got me confused, do all types of distillation systems require warm water ?? Ive been looking at a few “Turnkey” SPD Kits and some of them do not come with water heating capability

You can run an spd on a barrel of water and a reservoir pump. When you need it to warm up unplug the pump and heat the condenser up with a heat gun. You’ll have to reheat it occasionally until the mains start to run steady, but it’s perfectly doable. I’ve run my small Spd’s for years like this.

they come with proper recirculating heaters that don’t use water. that’s why. they use the appropriate fluids (which varies). water works fine with an SPD this small and your submersible pump can handle 100°f+, not much more but I used to do like 110 otherwise the condenser would get blocked and vac fluctuates. but I’d also pump cold water through the condenser for terps. other wise, with one cold trap, you’re gonna put your pump through hell.

What temp you think I would need to achieve for that setup ?

Fyi the cheap submersible pumps will work up to 60C/140F continously but if u go up to 70C/158F it will melt it down or break it. You want a circulator that can go up to 200C
The pump you posted is not nearly poweful enough, u want something along the lines of a edwards 18.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edwards-18-CFM-Vacuum-Pump-E1M18-Excellent-Condition-120V/153839140894?hash=item23d187001e:g:QIUAAOSw7-peTjSr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-Edwards-18-E1M18-Single-Stage-Vacuum-Pump-226519/352854173692?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225552%26meid%3D90a5a3a413084faeb6b295a19956a81a%26pid%3D100892%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D153839140894%26itm%3D352854173692%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2332490&_trksid=p2332490.c100892.m5207

I wouldnt buy a kit persay but buy parts seperatly. Get a good mantle from ebay and order your distillation glass from @david
That cow distribution flask is so 5 years ago, go with a swivel and full bore.
Here is my part list from awhile ago.

Replace the lab society head with @david head (Hk)
Replace the 100mm condenser with another 3way adstper from prism and a 250ml recieving flask.

that setup is gonna be a pain in the ass in my opinion. on the condenser? cold til your terps get thick and then you want your condenser to be hot. I was between 32f and 110f on my first 2l

1 Like

You can buy my setup. Rocco hk blend on the glasd. Alcatal pump. Full bore

2 Likes

how much ?

Im open to reasonable offers

Exactly

Why buy premade kits with useless parts? Check the for sale threads on here

2 Likes

Don’t buy anything with GL vac lines

Get a full bore glass kit from @david

At minimum 24/40 all the way to the pump

3 Likes

Here’s what you want.

5 Likes

Ya but that mantle is crap crap crap

1 Like

I have a bad ass fully automated mantle if anyone is interested.

Insert cheesy plug here.

1 Like

I plan on hooking mine up to a Variac transformer via the SkyHighler hack to control my heat

1 Like

Variac won’t change the fact that the internal wiring on those is generally speaking a Cthulhuesque nightmare and the PID is actually two mice in a microchip suit chewing on said cthuluesque rats nest of wiring.

3 Likes

Totally agree with you which is why the hack is needed. This is not as simple as hooking the mantel up to a Variac. First you need to do some work and unhook it the heating element from the pid and run it directly to the Variac.

Really ??? 32F - 110F is super doable with the current equipment I already have.

Using the DIY chiller I got for my rotovap I can get and mantain cold water at 32F for hours, and if the max temp of hot water I will need is 110F I can use the hot water bath on my rotovap to easily get it to that temp, all I need to do is use the same pump I got for my chiller inside the rotovaps hot water bath and im set.

If this is the case then all I really need is the glassware, heating mantel and a good rotary vane vacuum pump to get me started, am I right ???

I would suggest using two 5 gallon buckets one with ice water and one with hot water. with a sous vide heater inside the one with the hot water. that way when you switch from hot to cold it’s instant because you are just taking the submersible pump out of the cold and dropping it in the hot.