Natural conversion of Delta-9 to CBN negligible?

Just thinking out loud about something I had always heard about growing and was wondering how accurate. Something along the lines of “If you want more CBN, just delay harvesting”. I only just really gave it some thought, and the amount of available Delta-9 THC in the flower is pretty low, and the conversion from Delta-9 to CBN solely due to the presence of oxygen isn’t a miraculous efficiency, so how much of a difference will those extra few weeks of harvest actually make? **Don’t want to get into entourage effect conversations, only curious if any appreciable amount of CBN is actually produced by allowing plants to mature longer than usual.

3 Likes

CBN isnt being produced in a few weeks of harvesting late. you would need a significant more amount of time for degradation to happen.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m here to discuss. Every grower I’ve met goes by the rule of thumb “Amber trichomes mean more CBN” but I don’t necessarily buy into that.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

so none of the growers you’ve talked to have testing data to back that up?

assuming a legal grow, you have to get everything tested. CBN data comes along for the ride when you do. so either the growers you’ve talked to are trapping, or the should have data to back their claims.

do YOU have a stack of COA’s?

or are you asking others for data because you’re trapping?

short answer is probably that you are correct.

and the Natural conversion of Delta-9 to CBN IS negligible at least while on the plant.

4 Likes

Most of the growers I’ve talked to are on perpetual harvests and don’t have that R&D luxury to allow certain harvests to be delayed. One of the drawbacks of commercial grows :confused:

They believe but have no data…

1 Like

I have let strains run into 60% amber, and still had no CBN, and very little D9-THC… Like less than 1%

5 Likes

Thank you for the feedback! Just something I’ve considered “an old wives tale” and wanted to see some people’s thoughts/observations

I tested flower from a grower that had it in storage, that was a year old and it has 1.2% CBN. I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than 1.6% CBN in flower. Most samples I test are from home growers and are <1% CBN, no matter how much amber was on there.

1 Like

That is MoM worthy. You made me laugh rather hard.

well. natural also means bacterial and yeast synthase. so yeah, it can be done and there is literature that states the success of producing minor/ major cannabinoids. ill dig it up.

true, but not particularly relevant in the context of “does leaving my weed standing in the field/greenhouse/trap actually make more CBN?”…