N2 push on a ETS mini mep

Anyone using N2 to push cold solvent on their mini mep, in a licensed facility in Oregon?

1 Like

How cold is your tube? Just use the vapor assist with the quick disconnects or replumb it to do a hot loop vapor assist using n2 will just complicate your process and You’ll have to vent that n2 @Monkman

1 Like

I like the nitrogen push because I can use minimal solvent volume and get up to 90% of the solvent through as a cold liquid.

Then a hot (gaseous) solvent flush into a small, separate collection vessel. That way I don’t compromised the quality of my run, ensure a good yield, and can recover and empty the material column quickly.

Sure, it might “complicate” (aka add a few steps), but the quality and efficiency speak for themselves, in my experience.

I digressed - my bad. I am not in Oregon and I have never run an ETS myself. But I’ve been a nitro pusher for years! I’m assuming you are concerned with regulations involved?

Down here in SoCal, I spoke with Pressure Safety Inspectors about this as well as similar scenarios, such as direct Injection of liquid nitrogen into ethanol solutions. They said they wouldn’t see any issues in something like that. You pretty much just have to show that you aren’t releasing any hazardous volumes of gas while doing so. An in-line cold trap and some gas detection should be plenty to handle the job from what we discussed. Seek professional advice on the matter - or ask ETS directly if they have any such customers.

3 Likes