Mycology -- Tricks of the Trade

Thanks… Got super lucky with a multi spore syringe… Cambodians… You know I definitely isolated that culture!! :joy:

6 Likes

Your monos, are all the FAE holes at the top of your tubs?

4 Likes

1/4 holes every 1 1/2 inches all the way around the tub 5" from bottom… my sub layer sits right under the holes covered with micropore… An your traditional 1.5-2" holes around the top… lightly filled with polyfil…

How do you run yours ?

5 Likes

1 3/4" holes all round.
4 holes just above substrate level and 2 at the top.
I adjusted how dense the holes were stuffed with the poly.
Interesting you use micropore for the bottom, definitely keeps the poly fiber out your shrooms.

6 Likes

I’ve actually been researching how to grow them inside. So far I’ve successfully grew my mycelium and poured it out in tray w small casing of 50/50 manure straw. I spray it down every other day and exchange the air. I’m about 30% colonized of the casing in tub one…one it reaches 60-80% mycelium growth on the casing ill pull it out the dark for fruiting.
Right now I’m playing around w casing. The 50/50 cow to straw seems to work best as its more dry and fluffy. Ill try several different casing. To bad u can’t just toss the mycelium into casing bag like u can cubes.

I post pics tomorrow

I have petri dishes w agar otw maybe I can make mycelium syringes to cut down on contamination opening the jar to put mycelium coveted rye berries into the new jar

7 Likes

Awesome!! Keep us posted… interested in your project! If you can grow cyans with poo that would be cool! Also I think you may have your casing and substrate mixed up… Happy growing!

Don’t quote mi but it may be more successful to grow your cyans more like oysters than cubes…

6 Likes

How do I have the casing and substrate mixed up

Substrate was rye berries i spawned the spores inside jars filled w rye berries. After its full colonized you pour out into a tray and case it w manure based casing bc copelandias I hear must have it. U want the mycelium to break thru the casinf still in dark stage before fruiting.

I basically do my cubes the same way just in bags and w much deeper casing mix

2 Likes

Sweet… yeah man that sounds amazing… from what I overstand… The rye is your spawn… The poo mix is your substrate and your casing Is a thin non nutritious layer put on top of your substrate to promote stronger flushes. It adds moisture and creates a micro climate for pinning at the surface of sub. I’ve even heard of some using wax paper to ensure even pinning… Could be wrong I’m no expert…

6 Likes

Pretty sure w copelandias the poo is the casing as none is required i may be wrong.

No w cubes u don’t need the poo

I probably have my words mixed up @MillerliteRN knows for sure maybe he will tell us

3 Likes

@Kushite got it right.
Casing is a fruiting method where a colonized substrate is covered with non-nutritious layer such as peat moss, vermiculite or different mixtures of the previous with various additives. The purpose of this inert covering is to help induce fruiting and to supply moisture to the substrate and the developing fruits.

A substrate is anything which the mushroom can digest and use for energy while it grows. There are two very different kinds of substrates which are used in mushroom cultivation: highly nutritious spawn substrates and mildly nutritious bulk substrates

Spawn is the living fungal culture, called mycelium, grown onto a substrate. It provides the backbone to any mushroom growing operation. Think of it as the equivalent of seeds for a mushroom farm.

8 Likes

Mycelium like eating different foods instead of the same ol thing. Rotations like Rye Grass Seed → millet → oats or similar just like a crop rotation.

It allows you to keep the same culture going longer before it sianeces (sp?). Most people just start again with their master culture so it’s not really necessary, but interesting.

As for tricks of the trade: you can sterilize RGS jars with plastic lids in the microwave for 6 minutes.

Your oven can be heated to 450 and let cool down to 200 before opening the door and using it as a laminar flow hood: the hot air coming out should be mostly free of contaminants.

9 Likes

Ok i get it…well the rye berries are my substrate then I pour these out n tray and case w light amount sterilized manure and straw for fruiting

I love growing cubes bc they so much easier

But the Hawaiian copelandias will be worth the extra effort

2 Likes

To clarify, were you discussing how you cultivate psilocybe cyanescens or coplandia/panaeolus cyanescens?
I was talking about Psilo. Cyan/Azure
The ones I’m talking about you would need to replicate all 4 seasons to cultivate inside. And they only fruit on lignin rich wood. Not poo and straw.
I probably misinterpreted which mushroom you were interested in, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

2 Likes

panaeolus cyanescens aka Hawaiian copelandias is what I’m trying

I think i have it down only step i need to add in is recoup step after pouring the grain mycelium into a small tray i need to lid it and wait few days for the mycelium to recoup before casing it w thin layer sterilized cow poo

just put them in a cardboard box with homemade desiccants out of Epsom salt. Make holes on the cardboard box similar to large monotub holes for FAE. Put the cardboard box in a tent that has the humidity lowered to 20 and the temp to 50 with fans circulating all day and night you’ll have them dry in a week.

2 Likes

Just seen this, tbh I don’t expect this culture to make anything huge, but when it says do not eat over gram bc its so much stronger and contains serotonin I think its why its got no body load and way more lsd like visuals. My cubes I expect to put off more but I have to consume more and never get the best visuals and to much body load

1 Like

best video

2 Likes

Look up how to grow Hawaiian copelandias you’ll see the difference

The video u showed is how to make a mono tub for growing cubes
.I could apply the same theory just w Hawaiian instructions for larger scale

I want a couple these pros to get liquid cultures from me so they can play and find out the easiest way to grow copelandias, which is a species that grows way different

1 Like

Wood lovers right?

1 Like

No poo lovers the azures are wood lovers and cubes just love anything lol

6 Likes